What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sar. from safeway

Got this Sar. from safeway last year, they labeled it cobra lily but clearly it's not. Now that it's going to flower I'd like to know what it is. Any ideas?

635SUnknown-med.jpg

Thanks, Chris

It's a hybrid with purpurea in it. I wonder what color the flowers will be?

It definitely has S. purpurea in it. Maybe some rubra? Or possible flava.

that company generally distributes two hyrbids as "cobra lily": wrigleyana, and some kind of purp x flava or rubra, I think you have the second onw

right on! S. X catesbaei (s. flava X s. purpurea). Nice one by the way!

Bugweed are you sure? Obviously you are probibly right but I would go more with the S. purp x. rubra. Just based on the fact that 1) it looks like mine and 2) the typical curve on the edge of the lid to the pitcher i of flava hybrids is not present. Although S. purp. burkii willalso have th esame effect.

I am as sure as I can be. Doesn't mean I am right, but the plant does look s. purp X s. flava to me. Don't see enough s. purp X s. rubra to be positive. Close as I can get.

my purp x rubra looks like a shorter form of rubra with more red, when full grown like jeremiahs itlll have bulky, almost completely red pitchers, this one looks like a catesbaie (sp?) but with a bit of a rigid lid, maybe a different form of purp, maybe venosa?

I got a plant from meijers That was labeled as a cobra lilly and looks similar allthough not quite as red
mystery.jpg

I have the same plant. Heres a pic from last year.
sarr1.JPG

I always thought it was a S. catesbai but I got to thinking it might be a purp/rubra hybrid. Now I'm thinking it's a catesbai. Heres a pic from now.
S.catesbai%202,%204-11%20rs.JPG

So are we all positive that our plants are S. Catesbaei?

sweet, two pages!
So yeah sounds like it's narrowed down to purp. x rubra or catesbai. Maybe we can get it down to one. Oh and what is catesbai? Is it a hybrid, cultivar, or species?

Thanks again, Chris

S. X catesbaei = (s. flava X s. purpurea)

I would like to state that when I purchased my plant it originally looked like CNCReefers plant but it changed it's appearance I believe because of Ohio's climate. It looked like his plant in the first picture and after a little bit of growth it started to look like his second picture except greener.

It's one of the unknown Dutch hybrids. Even they don't know what it is and apparently originated from an artificial bog of random hybrids. Doesn't look like S.x catesbaei and possibly has rubra in there.

Well I cehck out photos and it probibly is S. x. catesbaei but not pure (the flava had rubra in it). Hence the slightly ruffled hood, ill-defined catesbaei mergeing of the hood to pitcher. At least thats what I think

Back