What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disaster!

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Yes, that's right, disaster has struck my collection. I thought the 50 pound puppy would be damaging to my plants, but she was nothing compared to my 3 year old son. One afternoon this winter he decided he liked the neat little plant tags that I so painstakingly have kept with each plant through a 2000 mile move. So now I have many plants with no idea what they are. I still have most of the tags but I cannot match them up with the correct plants.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

I will post pics as I get them of pitchers and flowers. most of these are sarr hybrids.

The first:
unknown%20RS.JPG

The second:
unknwn%20hybrid%20RS.JPG

The third - a flava(maxima?):
spring%20flava%20flower%20RS.JPG

Thanks for your help!

HOLY SMOKES! are all of those flowers in the last picture real? :p
WHOA that's a lot of flowers!

3rd is flava var. rugelli

The first is 'Ladies in Waiting'.

The third looks more like flava x alata. The flower petals are the wrong shape and color for pure flava I think.

I will have to disagree with the great old Alvin Meister on this one. pure flava to me!
smile_m_32.gif

As previously stated:

The first is a S. 'Ladies in Waiting'

second looks like S. 'Mardi Gras'

and third is a bit of a wash: flava var. rugelli- The developing throat splotch in the mouth is a dead giveaway, but, and this is a but, the flower petal shape is not straplike like in typical flava. That's not to say that it isn't a pure form-- there is great variability in any population.

You mentioned your son removed the ID labels. Do you still have them in your possession. If you do, process of elimination will help fill in the questionable blanks.

Hope that helps!

Ok, I'd agree that the last is flava then
smile_n_32.gif

Never seen so many flowers for this species though, and the petals are a little different.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You mentioned your son removed the ID labels. Do you still have them in your possession. If you do, process of elimination will help fill in the questionable blanks.
I do indeed have all (I believe and hope).

Thanks for the IDs on the first 2, I will relabel them more securely (or secretly).The third I thought was a flava, I did not puchase as a variety, but I thought I would check anyways (and show off the flowers, too). The plant came from Courting Frogs in Washington and was sold as a flava. I will post more pics as the flowers develop, I still have 7 tags, and a few more may have been moved.....

CP30, the third is an s. flava var. rugellii for sure. My Bay County flavas sent out similar flowers this year, and they are not something I see too often. Like KingDomo said, they are usually more straplike. Mine had the same narrowness of petal, and the roll on the petal edge. Strange look, but nice! Also the ganet (9" across) produced 14 blooms, and the flowers were thick! As full as the ones in your picture. Nice plant by the way. Give us another picture when the hood sets and it colors up in the throat.

Bugweed is definatly right. My S. flava 'Cooks Bayou, Fl' has the same petals

Here is the rugelli fully colored:
Rugelli%20RS.JPG

Back