What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia minor?

Bought from Lowes, and just labelled Sarracenia Pitcher Plant (no species).

Looks like a minor to me, but could be some hybrid. Any ideas? Hope the pic is good enough...

sarracenia%20minor.jpg

My guess is 'Scarlet Belle' [leucophylla*psittacina]

Glenn

Looking through BobZ's photo listing, mine does seem to look more like a S. x wrigleyana than anything else. It definitely isn't a minor like I originally thought. The newer pitchers are developing that wide, ruffly... what is the term, darn I can't remember... sail on the spine? I'll get another pic when I can.

Wow, one pitcher looks like it has leucophylla parentage, while the other to have minor parentage.

It looks like S. x wrigleyana in need of light. Give it direct sunlight and it will color up.

Looks exactly like my S. x wrigleyana before I gave it full sun.

By the way...has anyone else had a problem where the pitchers on S. x wrigleyana wouldn't open w/out help? Mine seems perfectly healthy, but the pitchers just stay sealed shut unless I give them a bit of a squeeze.

I do that sometimes. They say S. wrigleyana isn't a very good bug catcher, don't say that to mine though. It doesn't know how to read
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LeftCoast @ July 15 2005,5:08)]Looks exactly like my S. x wrigleyana before I gave it full sun.

By the way...has anyone else had a problem where the pitchers on S. x wrigleyana wouldn't open w/out help?  Mine seems perfectly healthy, but the pitchers just stay sealed shut unless I give them a bit of a squeeze.
pitchers stay swelled up with air and ready to open for a few days before they actually open, just be patient

Don't know why they won't open sometimes, but they won't, and putting the squeeze on them doesn't seem to hurt'em, so carry on. My own s. X wrigleyana seems to have some that open, and some that won't. I don't squeeze them myself, I just let them grow however they want to.

Being that you got it from Lowe's, I would say it is 'Scarlet Belle', as that is one of the few that have been in tissue-culture production and are sold to all those places that put them in those little pots with the clear dome. Highly unlikely that Lowe's would be selling a different wrigleyana, but I guess you never know.

As others have said, the plant is definitely light-starved. The pitchers should be almost a bright red.

im clueless but it isnt minor, minor's lids hang obove the pitchers giving the ilusion of a smile, minor also has windows, a thin film on the pitchers

Back