What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown sarracenia

Sorry for the blurriness,  but my digital camera is old and cheap.  Any help appreciated.  Apparently there are a couple of different plants in this pot, I think a rubra is in there, too.  

1b5aa8bc.jpg

An aerial view:

2501ada8.jpg

Not very talkative, are we?

Hi April,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not very talkative, are we?
While I can't speak for anyone else, you haven't given people much to work with here...
smile_h_32.gif

The one pitcher obviously has some some S. leucophylla in it. Is it pure or a hybrid with something else - difficult to tell...

As for any of the other plants.... it's often hard to ID w/ crystal clear photos....
confused.gif
Sorry....

looks to me like it has strong S. leuco parentage, could be some hybrid, If it has alot of red in it it could "possibly" be S. X "Judith Hindle", or S. X "Dana's Delight"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Aug. 07 2005,7:36)]Not very talkative, are we?
I sometimes have to wait a few days to get an anwser, dont expect it to always be instant

It looks like an S. leuco or an S.leuco hybrid, either way it lacks some sun, put it in a very sunny position(S.leucophylla likes as much sun as possible, full sun is best)

I was kidding with the "not very talkative, are we"  I expected it to be a difficult ID, because of the quality of the pictures.  

I had these plants in full sun, raised anywhere from 9" to 36" above asphalt. Most of them in black pots. It has been very, very hot and dry here, 90+ for weeks and weeks, with a one day break in the lower 80's here and there.  I moved them into more dappled sunlight, and they started pitchering immediately.  If it would cool off a tad, I'd gladly move them back into their full sun, and I will the second the weather moderates....but I feel it's just too hot. I'm totally willing to admit I may be completely wrong here! Even my native plants are wilted and stunted because of this drought, and have required supplemental watering since early June. Which is highly unusual, as their roots go down at least 15 feet.    April

Hey April!  Is that your boot in the 'aerial view' pic?  If so, give the plant a swift kick, and tell it to identify itself!!  Tell it Wally World is running out of water and you're saving it for a cactus anyway!  Just kidding, of course.  Those tactics should only be used for terrorist plants.  
smile_n_32.gif
 It does look like a S. leucophylla, but as Ron pointed out, it is hard to tell.  Can the source of the plant help you?

Yes, JBL...that's the tip of my clod-hopper in the picture.  I never physically abuse my plants, i speak to them in dulcet tones, give them the best steam distilled water, since we're lacking rain, I don't smile at them, nor do I scowl at them. I wave to them as I depart for work in the morning, but I do not speak to or look directly at them, LOL!  The happy fun balls of the plant world!

When the Leucophylla starts packing an AK...that's when I start kicking....

The source of this pot of plants is no longer available to answer any questions about it.  So, with what little I know, and the knowledge of the good folks here, the tall one with the white on it is probably an S. X Leucophylla, and the other ones in the pot are S. x Rubra, according to Laurazone5.  Now, should I try and separate them, or just leave them be?  I really wouldn't mind just leaving them be, but would like to see this group in a bigger pot. It looks pretty crowded in there. And when is a good time to transplant into bigger pots?  Spring? Fall?  

And, from what I have said in a previous post..should I move them all back into full sun? most of them in black pots? Can these plants take mid 90 degree temps perched over asphalt? I surely don't want them to fry.  Allegedly, by the middle of next week, the high temps are supposed to be in the mid-70's.  At that point, I'm thinking it will be okay to move them all back into full sun.  April

I'm glad you treat (and talk) your plants well, April! They are far less likely to turn on you that way. The plants can take as much heat as you can giv ethem as long as you keep them wet, wet and more wet. Don't separate them now. I'd wait until Spring unless they're so crowded that you risk fungus and rot.

I keep their water trays topped up, JBL. I'll move them back into full sun this weekend. Thanks Mucho Mas! I'm thinking it would be really difficult to separate them, as their roots are probably pretty well inter-twined. So, I guess I will over winter them, and just plop them all into a bigger pot this coming spring. They can hybridize all they want, I guess. April.

If you want to separate them in the spring, I'm sure you can untangle the roots just fine. This is more easily done if you remove the medium so that you can see what you're doing. That plant with leucophylla in it will appreciate the full sun. Good luck!
smile.gif

JBL is right, April. The more heat, with wet, is what they crave. The heat can intensify the color, and they love it. One fellow in Atlanta area grows his plants in a 115 degree F. greenhouse with the humidity kicked up a bit, and has the most colorful plants on the planet! Even Agristarts could not believe one of his plants was theirs as the colors were so brilliant. (Could be S.X areolata, April.)

Thanks Bugweed...I went out with the flashlight last night and put them back into full sun.
smile.gif
When I left home this morning they were happily sunning themselves! Thanks again, guys!

You sort of have what I thought the plants were correct.  I think the tall one is S. leuco x ?.  I think the other plant is a straight species rubra ssp. rubra. I also thought I saw a straight species oreo.  

You might want to consider watering your Sarracenia from the top down. Also too, flush them every once in a while. As far as dividing, I wouldn't do it this fall unless there is a good reason to do so and they really aren't all that cramped in that pot. Why not wait until next spring. When you go to divide them, gently pull off as much medium as possible and give it a little shake. Dip the whole tangled root mess into a nice bucket of air temperature water and gently swish the intertwined blob around and the plants will separate from each other. You don’t even need to be able to see well to do this as you will be able to feel the plants separating with your hands.

I like the location you moved your plants to. They are still getting at least 7 hours of sun. There was something very wrong about your plants in dark pots sitting on dark red brick hovering over nice black asphalt getting about 14 hours of sun a day that just didn't sit well with me. I think they were frying like eggs on the hood of a car.

Yeah, I had lots of fried pitchers, that's for sure. Like I said, some of them didn't pitcher until I moved them.  Now you all know why us newbies are often so confused!  
smile_m_32.gif
 The weather is supposed to break within the next week or so, which is good news.  Then they can sit on their little perches and perhaps not fry.  April

Back