What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown nep

• Thread starter zac
  • Start date
Could you guys help me ID this Home Depot save

UnknownNep-Alata-.jpg

UnknownNep-Alata3-.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Z

Hey, thanks for providing the picture I couldn't! Same plant and I had to give a written description. The answer came back as ventrata. This should be interesting, now, since there is an actual picture! Dude, you've been most helpful in putting a pic to a written description!

This was my posting:
Nep ID

Looks like it will turn out N. Ventrata. It is not pure N. alata

Tony

I have N ventrata,and one just like that from Lowes, and it looks nothing like my ventrata. I think it might be ventricosa.

Is it terrarium safe? i.e. size

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dude, you've been most helpful in putting a pic to a written description!

No problem Jim you've helped me b4

Thx again guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Aug. 23 2005,5:06)]I think it might be ventricosa.
Will be able to tell more when it grows bigger and more mature. However, N. ventricosa loses its fringed wings at a young age. This looks like a fairly good sized seedling. Much larger than I would expect for a N. ventricosa to continue exhibiting the fringed wings. The newer leaves also appear to be getting wider. N. ventricosa has narrow straight leaves. N. Ventrata is also MUCH more common.

Time will tell!

Tony

I can add that the plants that have been supplied have been between 2.5" & 6" in diameter. I would say that the plant pictured is closer to the 6" size. The pitchers themesleves are ~1.5 - 2". I'm guessing at Zac's specimen, but mine are those dimensions. Does that help?

That sounds about right Jim

Alright it's time for an update. I believed it's put out a mature pitcher.

What is it?

P1010015.jpg

Zac

Ah, Venticosa

Nice picture. I am still not 100% convinced it is pure N. ventricosa. Kinda odd shape. It sure looks more N. ventricosa like than N. Ventrata though. Maybe it does need to grow up a bit more yet.

Tony

And once again I play the waiting game...

I dissent, I think it's actually Ventrata.

I actually have a nepenthes like this one too except the inside of the pitcher is a pale green. I have been told that mine is a ventrata, and the rest of the pitcher (size, shape) looks like the one in the picture too.

I'll put an updated pic on tomorrow it's put up a couple new pitchers

edit: New pitcher isn't quite opened yet

I think its ventrata, the pitchers are the wrong shape for ventricosa.

No, that pitcher is clearly N. ventricosa.

Capslock
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Nov. 30 2005,2:50)]No, that pitcher is clearly N. ventricosa.

Capslock
smile_m_32.gif
I second that - young ventricosa pitchers tend to be very tubular and not ventricose, and the picture shows this off well.

Cheers

I still don't agree its ventricosa. Looking again it is not ventrata either. the ribbed mouth  is not right for ventrata though the shape is.

http://yamadanouenn.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc01418.jpg

the ribbed mouth is right for ventricosa but the shape is not

http://yamadanouenn.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sam00865.jpg

http://www.plantswithattitude.com/ventricosa.html

Here is a picture of my own ventricosa with a very young pitcher

vcosa.jpg

It seems to me you have a different plant from either of these two, maybe even a back cross, ventrata x ventricosa.

Back