What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babies Galore!

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
Bug babies are popping out everywhere. :-O

P6090059.jpg

P6090002.jpg

P6090014.jpg

P6090018.jpg

Ummm, that last pic look like spiderlings. What species?

Death match?

Spiders VS Mantis

Ummm, that last pic look like spiderlings. What species?

They are! I don't know the species. I found the egg sac rolling on the concrete in my backyard several days ago. The poor thing was probably set loose by the wind. I put it in an old rusty watering container and placed it sideways so the hatchlings could leave in a safe location in the yard. I checked a couple of days ago and they hatched. Some of them have moved out of the container, but most have stayed inside.

I have black widows all over the place, so I dared not bring it inside...

They do look like black widows. I love widows as long as they don't come in the house.

Cool stuff! Those don't look like the typical Chinese mantid nymphs (or the same eggsack) - do you know what kind they are?

The lady at the herp shop has a pair of black widows in tiny kritter keepers. Some kid bought em off the web and his mom found out so she made him get rid of them so he took them to her. She thought they'd go like hotcakes but it's been months and nobody wants 'em. I have a feeling she'd have almost given them to me last time I was there but I don't want em either! LOL

That is way cool!

Cool stuff! Those don't look like the typical Chinese mantid nymphs (or the same eggsack) - do you know what kind they are?

The lady at the herp shop has a pair of black widows in tiny kritter keepers. Some kid bought em off the web and his mom found out so she made him get rid of them so he took them to her. She thought they'd go like hotcakes but it's been months and nobody wants 'em. I have a feeling she'd have almost given them to me last time I was there but I don't want em either! LOL

I don't mind widows outside of my house. I have several in the garage, and I actually feed them from time to time! I find them to be beautiful animals.

The mantids aren't Chinese. They're the native species that I keep and breed, Iris oratoria. Their ooths are not of the typical round shape. They make oblong shaped ooths.

Widows are pretty but... :D

How big do the Iris mantids get?

Around 3 inches when fully mature.

Here is subadult female:
D02.jpg

Back