What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good old fashioned Tarantula pictures

Lest you think with all the mantids and crabs and other insects I've forgotten about my little Rosy Hair Tarantula. Here's some pics from tonight's watering and feeding. The roach ran into her den cos it was dark, those hobbits always do, bad mistake Frodo! LOL

rosy610front.jpg

rosy610profile.jpg

rosy610tank.jpg

She was 5 inches the last time I measured her against the front glass, it's rare when she hangs like that she likes lounging ontop of her den on top those "burros tails" plastic succulents. She's finally settled into her new 10 gallon home from the tiny kritter keeper. She comes out to see me now when I move the tank instead of cowering in the corner. It took many months but now she is webbing and exploring all over and playing in the water as before (evidenced by the substrate in the bowl). She was so upset over being moved I even considered putting her back in the small cage but she appreciates all the room now I'm sure.

Last edited:
classic rosie.. I miss my Sydney. :-( I was moving and my father opened the door to the truck and her tank fell out and crushed her. I had to put her in the freezer to put her out of her misery. I just fed all my T's today.. Had LOTS of molts!! To name just a few.. 1 of my P.regalis, my P.rufilata female, one of my C.fimbriatus females, my male H.mac, and a few others I forget. Nice pics btw..

Rosies are so soft! I'm debating whether to buy 3 A. versicolor babies for $40 shipped. The guy is kinda local, but too lazy to go pick it up.

Personally, my rosie is insane. First time I tried to hold her she actually tagged my finger. I didn't want to give her back, so I still have her (Haven't tried the holding thing again). But she's so weird, too. Out of all the things in her tank her favorite hide is an empty toilet paper tube, and she'll climb on top of it and try to move it across the cage. It'll roll on top of her, she'll get squished underneath and do it again...

I hope I never have to euthanize any of my critters. I do use the freezer to slow down flies and crickets so they can be grabbed with tongs and fed out to everyone.

It sounds like a good deal Larry, you should get at least one female out of that group. I put together a new home for my A. avicularia but then put the male ghost mantis in there when he became and adult. So I still have to put together a new home for the Pinktoe.

Mine seems to enjoy exploring outside the tank I just don't do it often enough. It's unfortunate that you got one of the bitey ones, I got the rosy partly because they are very reluctant to bite or flick hairs. Did you nudge her back leg with a paintbrush before putting your hand in? This kinda lets her know you're there, in her domain and if she's not receptive to play today she'll tag the brush or give it a threat display and not you. Mine heads right for the open top once she feels the brush, the girls at the retile shop handled her all the time so she's used to it.

well.. since we're talking about versicolors

2-4.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-3.jpg

7-1.jpg

1-4.jpg

100_3474.jpg

100_3369.jpg

100_3371.jpg

Cool versicolors! What is the mortality rate of newly hatched slings? I don't want to buy them if the mortality rate is high. Got any for sale?

Nice!

I STILL can't get over those blue feet! They're blue!

Cool versicolors! What is the mortality rate of newly hatched slings? I don't want to buy them if the mortality rate is high. Got any for sale?

I've never had any die. When they are still first instar (eggs with legs) there is some cannibalism, but I separate them after they molt into 2nd instars to keep the cannibalism rate down to zero. Other than that if you keep the conditions right (humid with good air flow, upper 70s).. they'll do just fine.
I'm ordering some versis today actually. If you can get your PayPal sent today, I can get you however many you want. $25+shipping. $15 for priority or $35 overnight w/ live arrival guarantee.

Nice!

I STILL can't get over those blue feet! They're blue!

Gotta love sticky pads! I want that.. why not me!

Back