What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome the newest babies to the family

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
Yep.. more babies. First up is our 5 new walking sticks we found..

100_4550.jpg

Then.. is our latest roadside rescue. She looks like a baby warewolf. Say hello to Thebe!

100_4551.jpg

100_4554.jpg

Farout! I want to find some native sticks! I've only seen one in the wild around here about 30 years ago when I was a little kid. It looks like a D. femorata (which occurs here too) are any noticeably smaller than the others? Males are smaller/skinnier.

Do you know what plants to feed it? I'll look it up for you in my books if you need info, they won't live long without food and often won't take plants that aren't their specific plant type such as the one you found it on: oak, bramble, etc. Supposedly they will "all" eat bramble (blackberrry) leaves but IME they won't touch it. :(

Cure kitten!

I have blackberries ALL THE WAY AROUND my property. So that's what I gave them.. I figured it was good since that's where I found them too.

Sounds good if that's what you found them on. You'll notice tiny pellet droppings and scoops out of the leaf edges to know that they're feeding. For food plant longevity cut the stems at a 45* angle and put in a vial of water, plug the top of the vial with florist foam or something to keep the insects out of the water. Keep the water topped up in the vials and mist the leaves everyday and they will stay soft and edible for weeks compared to days.

Did you go out at night with a red film covered flashlight to find them or did you spot them during the day?

Dig up a couple plants and pot them so you'll have food in winter for them (or their offspring). There is some debate as to whether the young "furry" bramble leaves have a poison in them which kills young stick and leaf insects whereas the non furry older leaves are fine and the adults can eat young bramble leaves. Researcher Paul Brocks various books of Stick & Leaf insects mentions bramble poisoning in stick/leaf insects below the 3rd instar too so I'm assuming it's more than just web conjecture.

Last edited:
Moar cat pictars plz. You need a lolcat thread more than you need new plants.

I love stick insects, I used to have them before I moved from LA and they seriously overpopulate like no other. It doesn't help that their eggs looked like their droppings too.

They really liked Ficus Benjimina and most members of the rose family (apple leaves, pear, rose, strawberry, etc) and they were really quite endearing pets to me and I latched them onto big ficus trees we had growing indoors and I'd just mist the trees daily for their water

What a cute kitty! I love her eyes, they're so vivid.
I _still_ want a cat. All of your cats cuteness is not helping with that, lol!

Wonderful looking bug. I especially love the new Kitty, lol. It looks so happy in the last picture.

Wonderful looking bug. I especially love the new Kitty, lol. It looks so happy in the last picture.

We got 5 of em' all together! They're so friggin' cool..

We found the kitty (Thebe) sitting on the shoulder of the road out in the country. And her mother was nowhere in sight. Poor thing is so tiny.. Mallory is still warming up to her though. She's not too pleased with no longer being the baby, but she's not trying to kill Thebe either.

Back