What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

She's a Lady Whoa whoa whoa!

My green ghost mantis has completed her adult molt last night and is truly a female (small antennae big thorax fan and slightly larger than her brown male counterparts. Nobody has said it out loud but it seems like the green ones are always female and the brown/black or tan ones are always males. If you look up photos of Ghost Mantids the greens always look this this - which is a female.

Here are some pics:

greenghostfemale2.jpg

greenghostfemale1.jpg

And of course some Tom Jones :D

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqIq39Iu41E&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

I'm now going to work on planting up a 10 gallon vertical where I will move her in a few weeks after I've fed her all sorts of goodies to get her mice and fat then I will introduce the males to her enclosure and hope for some fertilized oothecas.

That's some serious camouflage.

She is VERY nice!
Ain't nature amazing!
:bigthumpup:
Nice going!
Take care of her!

What an absolutely sexy insect. Mad props.

Stunning little bugger... So when are you bringing the boys in to do the deed and seal their fate ? :p

Nice Ghost :)

I still only raise chinese :(

...and the lady is fine....

Technically Ghosts, Violins and Idols are all considered communal (Chinese mantids are said to be the most cannibalistic). The guy I got mine from raises his ghosts communally but I separated mine just to ensure they all made it to maturity. I will start putting together a 10 gallon vertical enclosure tonight for the female and after I feed her heavy for the next 2 weeks or so then I will introduce the first male who became an adult a month or so ago, try and get him mated before he dies in another month or so. I guess the females can live up to 14 months after maturity but males only get 2-3 months to get the job done.

I guess the females can live up to 14 months after maturity but males only get 2-3 months to get the job done.
Do any mantid species live longer?

the second pic makes me sing ,
your a mean one,
misses Grinch!

I don't know. I was surprised when the guy I got mine from said his female was about that old and had laid some 30 ooths. I had figured they were all doomed after just a few months of maturity since they don't grow any more after they molt into adults (final molt). So if I take good care of her she'll be around a while. I don't think she needs to be mated more than once but since I have two males I will let them both in her enclosure just incase one of the males is sterile.

and by the way Adam Lambert has nothing on Tom Jones, LOL

Man, I want one of those Ghost Mantises.

Back