What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adult Spiny Flower Mantid

Woke up to an adult Spiny Flower Mantid today
adultflower1.jpg

The next two shots had to be through the foggy tank sides

adultflower2.jpg

adultflower3.jpg

I haven't yet had time to inspect it yet to see if it's a male or female, off the bat I'm guessing it's a male.

A predator dressed up in frilly lace. ;)

How are your mantids turning into adults so fast, you must be acquiring good sized specimens. Mine are nowhere near adulthood.

omg I want one! Or ten..

How are your mantids turning into adults so fast, you must be acquiring good sized specimens.
I can't afford good sized specimens I just have magic vivariums! LOL

Truly, I think it's warm the temps 75-82*F and the fact I feed them 1-3 flies or small crickets everyday. People say to let them go hungry every other day and I do skip a meal if I'm really tired on a work day and I've gotta wake up and run or they look like they're going to molt I'll hold off feeding a certain one. Sometimes I can't tell and they surprise me with an empty twin in the morning plus a couple uneaten flies buzzing around but generally they get something eat everyday. If your Mantids ever avoid eating and have big abdomen several days in a row take out their food/hold off feeding they will be molting soon.

Here was the first meal of one of the spiny flowers in my custody. Pretty much dwarfed by the fly he/she is eating. I think Peter's website said they were L2 or L3 when I ordered them. I don't remember how old Craig said the Ghosts were but they each molted 4 times IIRC.

flowerbigmeal.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the Spiny Flowers that I took when I was unpacking them.
flower1.jpg

The spiny flowers arrived May 10th IIRC, I didn't write it down but I know I got the Ghosts on April 24th cos it took a week to coordinate the meet so I could buy them in person instead of having them shipped. I had the baby spinys shipped and all 3 arrived just fine so I'm not fearful of receiving them via priority mail now, at least in decent weather.

Last edited:
Back