What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mating the Spiny Flower Mantids

Some of you may have read my lamentations that it appeared I wound up with three male Spiny Flower Mantids and no female, well last night one of them poked an organ out of it's rump and caused the other to plaster itself against the tank in an attempt to get at it, that only means one thing, it's the female releasing her pheromones so tonight I put them together in this tank where the male has been for a month or so:

flowerchamber1.jpg

flowerchamber2.jpg

Here is a look at the male:
adultmale1.jpg

And the female
femaleflower1.jpg

femaleflower2.jpg

The only way I could tell for sure was when she started releasing the Pheromones, it doesn't smell to humans but the male seemed to know all about it. :D

The only tell is that those flanges of her abdomen coming out from the sides of her wings are slightly larger than the males flanges which don't emerge as far, and of course that pheromone organ. Also the female eats more the male appears to fast for several days at a time while she keeps eating.

So, wish me luck... or rather the male! LOL

Awesome! Great news!!! Congratulations ;D

Well the male survived the night! They were both studying and circling each other all night one or two small slap fights and wing flutters at each other but nothing serious before lights out and there was 12 hours I didn't see what they were doing but this morning he was on the vine up by the front and she was on the twig in the back so I put the moving stick in and he hopped on so I put him into his own tank this morning, they're both enjoying hunting down a few blue bottle flies this afternoon. Hopefully something happened.

Their wings are so beautiful when they flutter them at each other, if I wasn't so afraid I was witnessing the death of one of my little guys I could have enjoyed watching it all! LOL

I hope that you get a couple nice ooths from the pair.

Well they were insistent about being together again tonight, waving arms and doing a funny dances at each other through the glass so I've moved the male back in with her. I hope he knows what he's getting into! :D

Well they were insistent about being together again tonight, waving arms and doing a funny dances at each other through the glass so I've moved the male back in with her. I hope he knows what he's getting into! :D

That's cute! Like "hey pretty girl, lookee me! :love:"

"Waving arms and funny dances" LOL.
However, I'm a herp girl and relate with this:
cupidm.png

Wow Swords, that's gotta be one of the most beautiful mantids I've seen! The setup is gorgeous too!

They were even more beautiful as youngsters:

purpleflower4.jpg

purpleflower5.jpg

They adpoted the purple color of a plant in their enclosures as camouflage I wish they would have retained the color through adulthood.

OMG pretty! Wow that's cute and such a vibrant color, oooh!

Back