What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Unicorn

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Just got these guys, here's my sub adult male.

4892836244_84e0aa3ae5_b.jpg

4892238511_3572bec747_b.jpg

4892238827_d97490036c_b.jpg

4892835946_be20213d54_b.jpg

WHOA that is one nice scary little predator!!

Fantastic! I love the eyes.

I really love mantids! I never thought of keeping them until now. How hard are they to take care of?

I find them extremely easy, kept in a small planted terrarium with lots of sticks that arch so they can hang upside down. being sure that there is at least 3 times the mantids height from top to bottom so they can molt easily.

Generally they require a misting every day or two after the lights come on. I spray the plants/walls and the mist floats onto the mantids, they lick the "dew" off their arms and antennae and will drink off the plants if real thirsty. I usually feed them one to 3 large blue bottle flies a day depending on the size and appetite of the mantid in question. Sometimes a moth or cricket but I feed manly flies to my Ghost Mantids and Spiny Flower Mantids, the only two species I work with at the moment.

You develop a feel for how much they want to eat. Mine generally ate daily until they became adults (excepting pre-molt and molt days) the males now eat way less (every 3rd day or so) and the females eat way more as much as you put in, they'll eat, including the males! Sometimes even after she's acted "full and refused any more food she'll still eat the male! Some people do not feed theirs daily but I generally do. They grow up much faster if you keep their abdomens full and 80-85*F. They live longer in cooler temps (70s*F) and less food. Really they are a trouble free vivarium subject.

Generally they are easy to handle, they prefer to be induced to hop on a stick for being transferred and "handled" than actually being picked up with fingers. Treat them gently and they generally appear to respond in kind. I have never gotten a "threat pose" from any of mine but I never tried to aggravate them either like people show on you tube. I find that somewhat cruel to poke at them and scare them into their displays, they seem very laid back and calm if treated kindly.

I bought a butterfly net incase my males ever took flight during handling sessions but they are so calm and docile I've never needed it for them or any of my other insects.

With any luck my egg case(s) will be fertile and I'll have ghost and spiny flower babies available in Sept/Oct for interested parties.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing as Dashman. So thank you swords for the detailed response.

When I was younger my mom would put their egg sacks in the garden as an attempt at pest control. She got them at a local nursery along with heaps of lady bugs (never wanted to use pesticides). It seemed to work for the most part.

Now I'm wondering about the practicality of keeping them as a pet, lol.

Just so it's clear for any potential owners, it is illegal to release the exotic "pet" species into the wild. The unwanted extras must be somehow dealt with outside of releasing them.

The garden center species (chinese, european and carolina mantids) are viable pets as well as the exotic species and the garden species' young can be released.

How is called unicorn when there's 2 sets of thingies on the head?

He's frickin' rad looking.

Are they actually TX native?

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Think you're splitting hairs... or horns! :-))

Them horns are kinda fused, so I guess you can say it's one horn. With the naked eye, it does look more like one horn. I think they look like giraffes ;)

He's frickin' rad looking.

Are they actually TX native?

Yup, southern TX and into Mexico.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Think you're splitting hairs... or horns! :-))

Back