What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adult male Ghost Mantis

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Here he is eating a cricket
4964963057_3f6364b2d0_b.jpg

And sucking out it's intestine
4965562718_11241c968e_b.jpg

Almost done with it's meal
4965563098_4425f70f24_b.jpg

Crazy-insane shots, Larry!

Larry,
those are some friggin awesome shots:awesome:
I have got to get a better set up for these kinda pics ,:0o:more like a microscope than an camera,
love the work. thank you

Magnifique! :D

Is the camera and lens setup heavy? Do you have to use a tripod to get steady clear shots or can you hand hold?

Wow, what a beautiful looking ghost! His head plume looks like a little black flame.

Magnifique! :D

Is the camera and lens setup heavy? Do you have to use a tripod to get steady clear shots or can you hand hold?

Yes, it is very heavy, even heavier depending on which macro lens I'm using. Metal flash bracket and flash adds a lot of weight and overall awkwardness. Bugs are very rarely shot with a tripod, I shoot most macros, bug or plants, handheld.

must have nerves of steel , and , do you ever miss:-)) LOL

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

hey it would be so cool if you could try a few of these really great shots of him molting.
Do take requests?:-D

wow....

ditto on Ron's question, details please

we are not worthy LOL

must have nerves of steel , and , do you ever miss:-)) LOL

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

hey it would be so cool if you could try a few of these really great shots of him molting.
Do take requests?:-D

What did you want me to take a pic of? Yeah, with macro you need to take a bunch of shots, then select the best one. Rarely will the first shot be the keeper.

What flash setup do you use?

wow....

ditto on Ron's question, details please

we are not worthy LOL

My setup is simple enough. Got a flash bracket attached to the tripod mount of my camera. Have the external flash attached to a sync cord, which is also attached to a ball jointed thingy to allow me to position the flash at the angle I need. Also have a flash diffuser attached to soften the shadows.

Great pictures Larry!

What model flash do you use? I'm thinking about getting one for my camera eventually. Just curious.

Thanks,
Crystal

For macros I use the Canon 430EX, for other shots I may use the Canon or the awesome Vivitar 285HV. With the Vivitar, I use it off camera triggered remotely, a steal at $85.

Thanks for the information Larry!

Wow nice shots! Makes him look extremely evil!!

Back