What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinktoe (terrarium) update

Well you can see her cloud anyway! :D

avic10gallon1.jpg

Cool, so you got all your planted terrariums under lights? That's a lot of lights!

I've got all terrariums directly under lights except my Pleurothallid Alliance orchids (Draculas, Masdevallias, Porroglossum, Pleurothallis, Stelis, etc) who are inbetween the two racks and just get light that bleeds from both sides otherwise these orchids turn yellow and stress out. I've killed these types of orchids very fast under too much light in my old plant days so I decided to try this "pseudo-windowsill" terrarium method with them this time round and so far so good! :)

Currently I'm only using 660 Watts of T5 HO lighting over six shelves (10,000 lumens / 108 W / from 2 tubes over each shelf). I didn't want to stress out the critters using too much light but I still wanted to have enough lumens to grow the plants nicely. These high output T5s give me the light of 4 regular fluorescents and basically the same wattage as 2 regular fluorescents (80W/T12 to 108W/T5HO). I would never have blood red Heliamphoras with only two T5s over each shelf but that's not my goal in these setups anyway.

I've heard Tarantulas hate light but she doesn't hide down under the ferns where it's almost dark but right up top I was afraid I'd freak her out but she went right to work when I set her loose in there I just love the web, it's like a descending fog or something! :D

Looks like she's made herself right at home..

My male P.formosa male just molted penultimate. One molt away from breeding with my female.

Thats a very beautiful T setup there. Thats a HUGE web LOL!! My 2 Togo Starbursts AKA ( H. Maculata) and 2 P. Ornata's make a nice size web. My 2 P. Regalis's also make a very web. I'll have to take some pics of them for you. I also have 2 S. Calceatums, ALL ones that dont have a fun bite at all, LOL.

Thought you may like to see these pics. P. Regalis

b-123.jpg

a-132.jpg

Looks like a nice male, you gonna get a mature female for him?

Most of my mature male insects make me nervous, they wander a lot, I want to say to them "Sit down! There's no females of your kind around so just chill out!" LOL

Beautiful...but if I had that monster living with me I wouldn't be able to sleep at night :0o: ... *specially* if it kept wandering around a lot. OMG XD.

Looks like a nice male, you gonna get a mature female for him?

Most of my mature male insects make me nervous, they wander a lot, I want to say to them "Sit down! There's no females of your kind around so just chill out!" LOL

Thats actually a Female from what Mass told me. I have another Regalis that I hope is a Male. I'll try and get some underside shots of that Regalis and the other one. May be a while, LOL, as they dont always sit on the side of the clear plastic petpal I have them in.

I just say that cos the rump looks quite small for a female. Maybe if I saw the two side by side by side I'd see the difference. It's a cool spider either way!

Most of my insect hatches for 2010 were all males what a bummer they're all pacing! LOL

I think she's molting tonight as I rarely see her upside down:

avic10gallon2.jpg

Very cool. I just had several of my T's just molt. A couple of them I cant get to cause there in their den, LOL. Too much of a risk of a bite report waiting to happen, LOL.

Looks like a molter to me!!
One of my A.geroldi just molted! And my male P.formosa has been drumming at my female formosa all night. He's driving me nuts..

Back