What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on freezing/storing food plants

Hey folks, as we all know winter is coming, more so here than elsewhere in the US I suppose but our fall colors are about 50-75% now which means the food source for a number of my critters is disappearing (hardwood leaves) and my Bramble bushes didn't do hardly anything despite growing all season. :(

So I went out today and in a ravine I found some still green oaks and I collected about 2 dozen oak twigs filled with still green leaves for my critters to eat over winter (each twig takes them apx. 2 weeks). I did not allow the twigs to soak up any excess water I simply laid them all flat hydrated as they were when clipped and bundled them in a giant size ziplock and popped it in the freezer. This is the first time I've ever frozen the twigs what are they like upon defrosting after a couple months are they wilted or will they perk up when warmed and rehydrated?

I know there are folks here with the same sort of insects, we don't need to discuss any specifics, I'm just curious about the food plant storage when your food plant cultures crash.

Thanks for any input!

Don't now if it will help or not but sent you a PM

Thanks the paste idea is interesting idea to try but mine are so used to hanging on twigs/leaves I don't know if they would go for it. If I had a blender I could try it. I haven't been too successful with the alternative foods I've tried - they like their oak and maple - they must be spoiled! LOL

You could try growing seedlings, but I doubt it would work.

Oh, I just have to say that I like your new avatar. :D

The only thing is you need matured acorns (ACORN! :D) from the previous year that have been through a previous winter or they don't germinate.

Beck is becoming one of my fave new stand up comedians - I like the shows best with his little chalkboard and random scribblings. LOL

Well I pulled my first twig from cold storage today and in 2-3 hours it has turned from green to dark olive green even though it's in a bottle of water to rehydrate. Don't think this twig will last more than a day or so. :(

Picked up some fresh Turnip Greens with long stems (similar to oak leaf in texture) perhaps they'll eat them - they hated Collard Greens but they were thick and waxy.

Back