What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Leaf Mantis mating

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Success! I tried to mate them last week, but it wasn't happening. The male would get on her but wouldn't do anything. He was only about a week into adulthood. So I tried again this week and it happened. Friday night, 6pm I put them together, an hour goes by with the male not doing anything but chilling on her back. I come back to check on them and I see them connected, but about 30 minutes later, I see them disconnected. At 11pm they were still disconnected. I decided to check on them one last time before heading to bed, there were connected! I wake up to find them still connected. I leave to run some errands and by the time I got home around 2pm they were done. I don't see the male, but I also don't see evidence of him being eaten. I hope he's just hiding in my room somewhere. I mate my mantids out in the open so the male has a better chance of escape.

Deroplatys dessicata
IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

OOO I'd love to see more shots like the last one from different angles! Nice to actually see what's going on down there.This is something we can never see clearly but your camera is magical. It's like National Geographic filming going on over there at your place! :)

If he still lives you could try searching the high spots in all the rooms. From people I've spoken to who's mantids have escaped they all generally tend to go up so check the tops of bookshelves, lamps, kitchen cabinets and so on. Hope you find him!

He lives! Found him on a shelf. :)

Awesome!!! Congrats :D

Back