What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dynastes tityus!

I'm getting some Dynastes tityus beetles in the mail on Tuesday or Wednesday!
They are newly emerged adults, and after they acclimate to their new home, hopefully I can get some babby beetle larvae.
Anyhoo, the mister and the missus are endemic to the Eastern United states, from New York down to Florida. They'll have a substrate of (unfertilized) peat, with leaf and wood mulch mixed in, and a bit o' sand.

I'd love to have this be planted, both to be aesthetically pleasing, and to give my beetles a pleasant environment. My question is this: What kind of plants would do well in this substrate?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Hey alright you finally got some! I hope they arrive alive for you this time of year.

I should think most common terrarium plants will do fine it's generally the same mix I use minus the sand I never bother with it. Philodendrons, pothos, ferns, peperomias and most stuff should be fine. I wouldn't do most orchids or succulents in that soil since it would be too wet and heavy.

Yea, they're being shipped overnight, and I've checked what the weather is supposed to be like when they arrive. So, unless surprises happen (which is likely since surprises seem to love me :<), I should has happy imagos soon.

I'll definitely see about some ferns and such, thanks! Part of me wants to make a clay wall up the back of the tank to grow some things, but I just don't know. hrmmmm.

Oh it's so easy man, do it! Did you see my how to?

Actually i dunno what it would be like without a jiffy mixer on a power drill ($8 bit at Home depot), mixing it by hand would really suck I think.

We've got a power drill, so I might do it. I saw your how-to a while ago, and just now thought of it again. It would be so cool!

Just ask in the cement dept for a jiffy mixer and they'll show you to them, compared to the foam and peat method there is no comparison, this stuff actually grows moss and plants the other doesn't stay wet enough unless you have one of those dart frog misters that spray all day long off and on.

Back