What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shelob's new lair -- picture heavy

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Well a friend on a plant forum I frequent asked me if he could name my Chromatopelma "Shelob". So said sure though it may turn out that "Shelob" is a "Helob". And while I know that "Lord of the Rings" fans may be disappointed in that I made no effort to mimic the movie setting, well here it is. (Sorry this is rather picture heavy but some shots just seemed to be clearer for certain details.)

From the "back" of the enclosure:

46ec5b2d.jpg

99e4295b.jpg

From the front:

8b5b5b91.jpg

ec1821f3.jpg

67772012.jpg

Through the open mouth of the jar:

233063b7.jpg

bf5f4e81.jpg

Shelob exploring her/his new domain:

7dc99870.jpg

Shelob dancing the Tarantella after having caught her/his "dance partner"

82e46067.jpg

Some parts of the skeleton have already gotten tossed around a bit between the actions of the crickets and the T ... but I figured that would happen. And while I was hoping Shelob would choose to hide out in the little cubbyhole formed by the dry riverbed and the rocks, it at least did decide to start making its web hide behind and on top of the rocks .... so at least the general desired area. I'll be interested to see how the look develops as Shelob continues to decorate.

Neat! How big is it?

Neat! How big is it?

that one looks to be about 2"-2.5".

GBB's are semi-arboreal. So looks like you've got everything pretty well setup for a burrowing climber. It loves to dig though, so not sure dead LFS is the best media to use. I would've gone with coco-husk like EcoEarth or Bed-A-Beast.
Nice looking Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens though.
Did you know that Pruess Animal House in Lansing has a T. blondii named Shelob? Pathetic looking goliath.. under-fed IMO.
ANYWAYS.. good looking T. Careful though, they are quite the little spear chucker. Mine was named Flick. She was a 5.5" to 6" adult female when I sold her.

premolt1_1.jpg

premolt1.jpg

Last edited:
Neat! How big is it?

I assume you mean the T? Currently, I'd estimate 1.5" DLS.

GBB's are semi-arboreal. So looks like you've got everything pretty well setup for a burrowing climber. It loves to dig though, so not sure dead LFS is the best media to use. I would've gone with coco-husk like EcoEarth or Bed-A-Beast.

I did debate that. Finally decided to go with the moss for two reasons -- one of which you may have guessed was for aesthetics. The other was because in its last enclosure (a very basic setup), the substrate was coco-husk and it showed absolutely zero interest in burrowing.

Did you know that Pruess Animal House in Lansing has a T. blondii named Shelob? Pathetic looking goliath.. under-fed IMO.

Haven't been to Pruess in years. I'm surprised they aren't taking better care of their T. They had a sweet pdf setup years back last time I was there.
ANYWAYS.. good looking T. Careful though, they are quite the little spear chucker. Mine was named Flick.

Thanks, Travis. Yours was a beauty. Mine has yet to flick but I haven't made any attemt to hold it either. I had heard they tend to be very skittish and flicky.

I think A. versicolor and C. pubescens are two of the most beautiful T's from sling to adult. P. metallica is gorgeous as an adult but nothing remarkable as a sling.

I did debate that. Finally decided to go with the moss for two reasons -- one of which you may have guessed was for aesthetics. The other was because in its last enclosure (a very basic setup), the substrate was coco-husk and it showed absolutely zero interest in burrowing.

It's still a baby. Wait for it to become a juvenile. Trust me.. ;)

Haven't been to Pruess in years. I'm surprised they aren't taking better care of their T. They had a sweet pdf setup years back last time I was there.

You're not missing anything. Just a bunch of underfed, overpriced critters wishing to escape.

Thanks, Travis. Yours was a beauty. Mine has yet to flick but I haven't made any attemt to hold it either. I had heard they tend to be very skittish and flicky.

Again.. you just wait. Spear chuckers..

Omg mass is into spiders too. This just made my day. You guys are awesome.

Omg mass is into spiders too. This just made my day. You guys are awesome.

Not so much anymore. I was a large breeder/trader in the hobby for about 10 years though. And just to clarify.. I'm into tarantulas, not spiders. Spiders are icky.. Sneaky little buggers, never know WHERE they're hiding.

...And just to clarify.. I'm into tarantulas, not spiders. Spiders are icky.. Sneaky little buggers, never know WHERE they're hiding.
:-))

I'm into tarantulas, not spiders. Spiders are icky.. Sneaky little buggers, never know WHERE they're hiding.

Back