What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millipede tank

I am purchasing a millipede from the LPS and have some questions. What should I use for the substrate? Peat or Sphagnum? I have a 5 gallon, is that enough for 2 of them?

First off, what species are you getting ? If you're getting Archispirostreptus gigas (African Giants) then a 5 gallon is too small, a 10 gallon would be the minimum for 2. Peat is a good substrate but coir is a far better choice. It will hold moisture better and won't cake together. It will also be easier for the millipedes to burrow through.

Gratz! Which species? If you happen to have somehow gotten your hands on African Giant Millipedes (which shot up in price after exportation was banned), go for a 10 gallon. If you are keeping one of the smaller "giants", a 5 gallon is fine.

Post pics!

- Cthulhu beat me to it -

The pet store does not have them labled, but they are small and inexpensive ($5.99), so I doubt that they are African Giants. I will probably use coir as mentioned above. Thank you for your advice!

i reccomend you get a couple of these, as my african giant LOVED them.
bark_tubes.jpg

I purchased a brick of coir today. It had to have been 2 inches thick and 6 inches long. I could not believe how much it expanded! It could barely fit in the 5 gallon bowl I put it in! I also went in my back yard and found a nice porous rock (probably some old aquarium rock), a small hollow log, and a few weeds like grass just to decorate it. I am using a "green" florescent bulb attatched to a desklamp which is being shared with my small refugium. I will post pics soon!

millipedes love to burrow. i used the coconut stuff as substrate and made it fairly deep for them to dig in. but if you ever want to see them make it shallower and put in an above ground hiding spot, otherwise they spend all their time underground. change their water everyday too. they are thirsty bugs....

I put at least 6 inches of substrate. i guess he will be just like my scorpion and I will never see him. I have heard they are nocturnal. I will be purchasing it tomorrow, everything is set up and all the research is done.

I put at least 6 inches of substrate. i guess he will be just like my scorpion and I will never see him. I have heard they are nocturnal. I will be purchasing it tomorrow, everything is set up and all the research is done.

keep it in your room and you will hear it, for sure

1000 legs crawling at once!

It is a florida giant, apparently. Is their care the same?

It is alive and well! Thank you all for your advice!

Back