What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macro photo of a harvestman

Oh lord. That is incredibly creepy. I like them more as little balls with long legs...

Nice photo though!

never really saw them except somehow everyone growing VFTs in California had them caught in a VFT. Some how it appeared that they would plop down their bodies into the trap and would be just legs sticking out of the traps....

never really saw them except somehow everyone growing VFTs in California had them caught in a VFT. Some how it appeared that they would plop down their bodies into the trap and would be just legs sticking out of the traps....

LOL! I have a photo of exactly that! I posted it on a couple of carnivorous plant forums (including this one) and people that kept flytraps outside could identify the type of critter by the legs sticking out!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

*shudders* I like spiders and arachnids but not at close range !! Is that 2 beady eyes on top ? if so, I'm sure there trying to out stare me lol

I love your blog. Keep the photos coming!

that's wild man, great shot.

weird, ive never seen one that close. so, are they not true spiders because they only have one body segment? thats what ive heard but just never bothered to look it up

The eyes and leg socket/body attachment points make this common critter seem all the more alien looking.

Great stuff and really looking forward to those spider shots. :)

dvg

weird, ive never seen one that close. so, are they not true spiders because they only have one body segment? thats what ive heard but just never bothered to look it up

I think the biggest difference is that the cephalothorax and abdomen of a harvestman are fused without an obvious “waist” so it looks like they have a simple undifferentiated body. They also don’t build webs and I don’t think they are venomous.

Cheers,
EC

The eyes and leg socket/body attachment points make this common critter seem all the more alien looking.

Great stuff and really looking forward to those spider shots. :)

dvg

You know, I hadn't really noticed the leg/body joints until now...they really are cool, aren't they? The spider photos are up--I posted one of the pics in another thread.

Cheers,
EC

Back