What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White box photographs of Extatosoma tiaratum

I decided to try something a little different yesterday. I’ve noticed that it has become quite trendy for entomologists to photograph insect specimens using a white box, so I decided to give it a shot (so to speak). It took me less than 5 minutes to put together the white box that I used to take these pictures. I chose to photograph a couple of Macleay's spectre stick insects (Extatosoma tiaratum) partially because they don’t move around much. Last night on my blog I posted these (and other photos) along with an explanation of how to put together a cheap, simple white box.

I normally prefer natural backgrounds, but I have to admit, the pictures turned out nice. And there is no reason I can’t use this same technique with a more natural set-up for future shoots.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

phasmid white box 2 copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

phasmid white box dorsal crop copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

amazing Ernie,

you need to give classes LOL..... oh and before you do, move to states :p

Amazing! Really beautiful critter.

I didn't know you live in Canada. Drop me a line if you are ever looking for anything.

I love these guys.. I miss my New Guinea Giants.. Great shots!

Back