What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified scarab beetle photographed using an improvised white box

I arrived in Los Cabos after dark, and the first thing I did after I checked-in was to take a walk around the hotel grounds to see what critters I could find. I found two specimens of these beautiful little beetles next to a light set in the ground along the path. I assume the beetles had been attracted by the light. Each beetle was about ½ long (1.25 centimetres) and as you can see, they were a nice mahogany colour. I believe they we some type of scarab beetle, but I have no idea what kind.
I had to made a simple white box out of photocopy paper to take this photo. It had me feeling positively MacGyverish!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

beetle in Los Cabos copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Like all your pictures, fantastic.

would love a wide angle shot of the specific lighting/studio/etc set up

nice how it is so well illuminated, but no blown out areas.... very nice technique imho

Whoa. Beautiful pic.

Awww. ;o

Looks like a fluffy little bear... Love the fluff on it. Just wanna hug it. :awesome:

amazing! i think you should consider publishing these in a book.

would love a wide angle shot of the specific lighting/studio/etc set up

nice how it is so well illuminated, but no blown out areas.... very nice technique imho

I didn't think to take a photo of the set up, but I included a diagram on my blog post. It was literally just a piece of photocopy paper folded into a tent, with the flash shot through the paper to light the beetle.

Cheers,
EC

Great pic! I love the signature on his rump, like a car decal! :awesome:

amazing! i think you should consider publishing these in a book.

Ditto that.

I love your blog, and the lovely pictures. The stories are funny, too.

It reminds me of a (lost) photo I took years ago of an unknown orb weaving spider at night, using a HEAVY film SLR, a flashlight, and a lot of luck and balancing skill. Heh! I wish I still had the negatives. It was against an all black background.

Ditto that.

I love your blog, and the lovely pictures. The stories are funny, too.

It reminds me of a (lost) photo I took years ago of an unknown orb weaving spider at night, using a HEAVY film SLR, a flashlight, and a lot of luck and balancing skill. Heh! I wish I still had the negatives. It was against an all black background.

Thank you! I really appreciate the supportive words!

Cheers,
EC

Back