What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantis meets cricket, with predictable results...(pic)

My blog today features a series of photos of my new European mantis (Mantis religiosa) feeding on a domestic cricket. I hadn’t kept a mantid for many years and had forgotten just how interesting they are. It is fascinating how incredibly efficient and fast they are at consuming a good sized insect.

If you are squeamish about bug guts you might want to avoid looking at the picture below. Somehow I don’t think that will be a problem for the folks on this forum!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

feeding mantid 7 copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Great pic as always Ernie.

But who knew that a cricket would have such a creamy filling?

dvg

Crickets in my favourite state - dismembered and mostly eaten because they're gross :lol:

Nice pic! Why the cream? :lol:

reassemble stephanie:-D

Cool photo!

Crunchy outside, soft gooey interior -- not unlike a Hersey's ROLO. heh

I was gonna say Cadbury Creme Egg! :lol:

Awesome pic

Dooo eeeeet!

I like how smart mantids are. If dinner starts kicking up a fuss, Mr. Mantis eats off whatever's moving. :awesome:

I should find a mantid species that'll live comfortably in one of my terrariums.

i used to have one....2 most entertaining scenes i remember was a) when they go through the eyes/brain and b) when they ensnare something that has armor on it.......the mantids jaws are incredibly sharp so the armor doesn't buy the victim much time:spider:

Dooo eeeeet!

I like how smart mantids are. If dinner starts kicking up a fuss, Mr. Mantis eats off whatever's moving. :awesome:

I should find a mantid species that'll live comfortably in one of my terrariums.

LOL! I have to admit, this mantid was incredibly entertaining. I hadn't had one for years and kind of forgot how appealing they are. Sadly this specimen died the other day...I need to find another...

EC

i used to have one....2 most entertaining scenes i remember was a) when they go through the eyes/brain and b) when they ensnare something that has armor on it.......the mantids jaws are incredibly sharp so the armor doesn't buy the victim much time:spider:

Its amazing how easily a mantid chews through exoskeleton, isn't it?

Cheers,
EC

Back