What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MORE white box photography of tobacco hornworms

I posted more photos of tobacco hornworms on my blog today...the third post in a row about these critters...I definitely need to find something different to shoot! LOL!

Today’s blog was about using a white box to get photos that have a natural background rather than pure white. Here are two examples: one with a pure green background, and the other with the caterpillar on a leaf. I really like the obviously natural background provided by the leaf. Mind you, I probably have a bias toward these shots as I have used this technique so much in the past. It was standard practice on my trips to the Amazon.

Any feedback as to which photo you like better would be much appreciated.

EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

hornworm green background close Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

hornworm on leaf Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Love these! I would like to get a white box myself. I just don't know where to start.

I like the 1st one. Both are nice pics though.

Love these! I would like to get a white box myself. I just don't know where to start.

It's super easy...just go to Staples and buy 3 20" x 30" pieces of foam core (like these: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_i_results.asp?txtSearch=foam+core) and a largeish piece of white paper. With those pieces, a razor blade and some tape and you will have a white box put together in about 5 minutes. I posted some diagrams on my blog a while back:

http://macrocritters.wordpress.com/...ys-spectre-stick-insects-extatosoma-tiaratum/

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Nice animal, very good pictures too. Thanks for sharing!

Maiden

Prefer the first one. Your photos are always fun and interesting.

Back