What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A desert hairy scorpion, a white box and 15 minutes (pics)

Lately I have been lamenting the lack of critters available to me to photograph at this time of the year. Well I am happy to say that the problem has been resolved—for the time being at least. Last week I took possession of 19 new “pets” including three new species of scorpions, two species of tarantulas, and one centipede. One might jump to the conclusion that I used the dearth of photographic subjects as an excuse to buy some interesting critters (and one would be right).

Last night I finally managed to find a whole 15 minutes to do a shoot, so I quickly set-up my white box and took these pictures of one of my new critters: a lovely adult female desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). Here are a couple of photos from the series I posted on my blog.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

desert hairy scorpion 7 copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

desert hairy scorpion 6 copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I really love your technique for shooting these insects and arachnids. Your eye for composition is exceptional as well.

She looks scared in the second one. I can't wait to see the tarantulas!
Very nice detail.

very very nice!!! i hope you can get your hands on some of the giant venomous centipedes. would make for amazing pictures

Very nicely done, can't wait to see the other pets!

Excellent shots, Ernie!

SnowGlobe.gif

She looks scared in the second one. I can't wait to see the tarantulas!
Very nice detail.

Not scared...I put a jar lid over her to keep her in place while I adjusted my camera. I lifted the lid and took that shot before she stood up and started wandering around.

:-))

Most of the tarantulas are very tiny still...but I got a nice young (3 inch) B. smithi. Its close to shedding, once it has done so it will be really pretty and I'll shoot it then.

Cheers,
EC

Surprisingly cute for a scorpion. Great photos as always, Ernie.

That is 1 sexy camera. the Scorpions pretty nice too what's a white box?

can i see your white box? I photograph art glass and it's hard to get rid of the glare and reflections...

Actually, one of my new critters is a Scolopendra cingulata (Egyptian centipede). I'm not completely sure how to photograph it yet! LOL!

Considering their speed and unpredictability, you'd likely have the easiest time taking photos while it is munching on a roach or cricket.

SnowGlobe.gif

I need to build a white box for Bubbles, a big one. She's going to make for some awesome macros once she's fully grown.

Arachnids scare me, but that is a very nice scorpion. Have you ever gotten a vinegaroon before? Like scorpions, but with no stinger.

can i see your white box? I photograph art glass and it's hard to get rid of the glare and reflections...

I posted a description of my set-up, with some graphics, here: http://wp.me/p2wM8r-gO

My white box is made from 3 pieces of white foam core. It took 5 minutes to make and just minutes to set-up and take down. It should work well for glass. In the past I have shot coral beads in a white box that consisted of a foam core box that was open on one side, and with a hole (for the lens) on the opposite side. The beads would go onto a light box, then the white box would go on top and I would shoot vertically through the hole. It produced very nice photos of the beads on a pure white background.

Cheers,
EC

Back