What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese mantis baby pics

A few weeks ago I acquired a Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis) egg case. The egg case hatched this past week. Now I have lots of little mouths to feed!

This little specimen posed very obligingly for me as I was feeding them fruit flies. There is always something very satisfying about watching a critter eat.

Well, not for the fly I suppose...

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Olympus OM-D E-M5; Zuiko 60mm F2.8 macro lens; Olympus RF-11 ring flash; F16 @ 1/200 sec); ISO 200

P7070482 baby mantid copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

P7070476 baby mantid 2 copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

for size comparison, are those the smalller fruit flies or the standard larger ones? either way, the mantids are so lil an cute :)

for size comparison, are those the smalller fruit flies or the standard larger ones? either way, the mantids are so lil an cute :)

Standard small fruitflies: Drosophila melanogaster.

:)

EC

They're cute for ferocious little beasts. :eek:

Back