What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasp and pitcher plant (pic)

A European paper wasp (Polistes dominula) trying to feed on the tiny droplets of nectar secreted on the underside of the operculum of a yellow pitcher plant (Sarracenia flava). As you can see the wasp had a very precarious hold on the slippery lip of the plant. You can tell that this wasn’t going to end well…at least not for the wasp. Moments later it slipped and disappeared into the trap.

Cheers,
EC
Blog: http://wp.me/2wM8r

Olympus OM-D E-M5; Zuiko 60mm micro 4/3 macro; manual exposure (F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/2 power); 200

P8120201 wasp on pitcher plant copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great pic! I cannot count how many wasps my late S. flava captured...many traps would end up rotting if I wouldn't pay attention, due to too many wasps inside the pitchers!

Awesome picture! Working hard to learn how to take better pics right now. That kind of image makes me hate the ones I have taken lol.

Darned buggers around here have learned to chew their way out of a pitcher. :rant:

Back