What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They Nest! (Don't look if you've just eaten)

• Thread starter Zath
  • Start date

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
How cool! Hissing cockroaches are awesome. Im willing to bet you will get 25+ later this week.

Some people consider them a delicacy.

That looks like an aborted egg case with only a few nymphs that actually made it. Hissers don't drop egg cases that hatch later like other roaches. Nice capture in your photos either way.

Last edited:
Are you feeding them high protein dry cat food? I was told that's what they needed for good nutrition so I bought Sprout brand natural high protein cat food. I gave it to them as pellets but they really ate it up once I started grinding it into a powder in the coffee grinder. Before long I ended up with far more roaches than I needed! :awesome:

Last edited:
That looks like an aborted egg case with only a few nymphs that actually made it. Hissers don't drop egg cases that hatch later like other roaches. Nice capture in your photos either way.

It was gone an hour after those pics were taken. Would they...um..."recycle" it, if it were aborted?

@ Swords:

I feed them the same food I give my dogs; Pure Balance brand.

When a female is mated and forms an egg case, she will protrude it from her body (allowing it to dry), and then, instead of dropping it, she will pull it back inside.

Photos of a hisser egg case drying before it's pulled back in:
egg_case2.jpg

345d1251188941-hissing-cockroaches-help-eggs-042.jpg

roach2.jpg

When a hisser "gives birth", the eggs simply hatch inside her then the babies (nymphs) pour out:
23846944916e233d66dc_1.jpg

cr4jpg.jpg

MHC%2Bbirthing.jpg

2013-05-02-madagascar-cockroach-special-delivery-02_GalleryLarge.jpg

And yes, hissing roaches will "recycle" (eat!) an aborted egg case.
Slide19.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Acro!

Those pictures are darn near a FAQ in and of themselves, lol. I guess I'm lucky I got even one nymph, judging by what an awful mess her egg-case was, as opposed to the smooth, cylindrical ones in your pics.

Now I've just got to try and figure out why. Judging by the amount of time I've had them, I'm pretty sure this is the first litter any of them have had, and wonder if, as in some other critters (cresties come to mind), the first try can often fail, while successive attempts are met with more success?

Back