What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ambitious lil devil

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Well today while I was watering the plants on my balcony, I noticed what I though was a small moth spinning rapidly in place midair below a horizontal branch of my little Ficus. Now I have a plethora of orb weavers which call my balcony home during the summer so I figured that the insect had snagged itself on one of the sticky cross bars of an orb web. Turned out I was wrong on a couple counts. Firstly, what I mistook for a small moth was instead a fat midge. Secondly, it had not gotten snagged on a piece of webbing. Instead, a little zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus) had apparently pounced on the midge -- though whether while the midge was at rest or in midair I have no idea. The two were suspended by the spider's dragline and were spinning as a result of the midge's attempt to fly. By the time I got to my camera, they were at the foot of the Ficus. The midge's body -- not counting wings or legs -- was easily twice that of the jumper.

Very cool.
Jumpers continue to amaze me with their intelligence and agility. :spider:

Dang! Looks like he's having his Thanksgiving dinner today

Back