What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larva ID

I found this guy tucked in between some concrete landscaping blocks here in Oregon, wrapped up in a pouch that looked like matted hairs. In the pouch it didn't seem to want to move but once released it crawled away pretty quickly. I haven't been able to identify any similar butterfly or moth caterpillars but it certainly looks like one. Any ideas?

vPwgTOB.jpg

o34CJ0U.jpg

That one looks much too hairy to be the same species.

Maybe it'll get fuzzier when it gets older...
You could always search up 'yellow caterpillar' on Google see what looks closer too what you've seen

Or maybe it was shedding its old skin and that's why it looked like a matted shell it was in...if they even shed..idk

That one looks much too hairy to be the same species.
First pic is all the hair. Looks like in process of making cocoon. Put the fuzzy things back in your mind. Then compare

The hair was actually completely covering it when I found it. I didn't know what it was and started pulling it apart to discover the caterpillar inside.

You may be right about the identification. If only the spots on the body were visible through all the hair in the other pictures...

Back