What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're not using this, are you?

• Thread starter Zath
  • Start date

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
molting-cricket.jpg

Caught this guy molting this morning. By the time the camera battery had enough charge to take this pic, his buddies had already come to investigate and, presumably, chow down.

Nice, I too wish you could have caught him doing it..

Lol isnt that kinda cannibalistic in away i mean they are eating his old body/skin lol

Lol isnt that kinda cannibalistic in away i mean they are eating his old body/skin lol

Very common amongst some types of insects. It enables them to easily gather or "recycle" the compounds for chitin.

Furthermore, crickets can often be cannibalistic.

Last edited:
wait are they eating the insect of the shell it shed?

They're eating the discarded husk. The cricket that molted is the large cream-colored one.

An aside for any who may be interested, the above statement should more correctly read "her" old "exoskeleton." ;)

Last edited:
An aside for any who may be interested, the above statement should more correctly read "her" old "exoskeleton." ;)

Hah! So those -are- ovipositors. :p

Hah! So those -are- ovipositors. :p

Yes, indeedy... albeit immature/nonfunctional ones. They will reach full length and functionality upon their penultimate molt.

Back