What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eeeek there be holes and missing bits on the tomato plants. Well to be honest the plants can spare the extra foliage at this time of year.

Here are the culprits. Lacanobia oleracea, the Bright-line Brown-eye moth caterpillar.

21087247049_4be005c338_o.jpg

Also known to gardeners as the Tomato Moth, I can't work out why though. :-O

This fellow was having a good chomp (probably still is) on an Arisaema, he was under the leaf but his hairy bits gave him away.

Spilosoma luteum, the Buff Ermine moth caterpillar.

21274169675_4972327bea_o.jpg

MrsG found this one hiding in a Dahlia flower. I've been unable to pin a name on it so far.

21394370501_669ae486f9_o.jpg

These I leave alone out in the garden, with tomatoes I'd be stripping leaves off to help ripen the fruit anyway. In the greenhouses I've already sprayed the Darlingtonia, the Sarracenia purpurea and S. psittacina with nematodes to prevent damage by Tortrix moth. Not much point growing Red Darlingtonia if they ruin the pitchers before they turn red.

Those are some crazy looking caterpillars. The last one is really weird looking its kinda see-thru!

Fred, the third one makes me think there is a roll of Lifesavers candies inside it. Sans the wrapper, obviously. :p Maybe - that IS the larval stage of Lifesavers :ohno:

Last edited:
Omg! Lol lol it does kinda look like theirs lifesavors inside that 3rd caterpillar lol lol

You people are weird

Back