What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this guy?

I saw this on the dried out leaf of my D filliformis today. I've heard horror stories of caterpillars that eat the bases of dormant plants, and so I put this in a box until I can assess what it is and what I should do with it. If it eats those annoying other plants in the bog, it goes back in, if it's harmless it goes back in, if it shouldn't be in a bog in the first place it goes outside, and if it's dangerous Nepenthes eats it. Here's the picture.

RFJBo4H.jpg

Looks like a cutworm. Feed them to the neps or any other means of disposing of them. I find them in my bog mostly in spring. They love to feast on sarracenia and can do a lot of damage, especially young shoots coming up. Some of my sarracenia pitchers are full of the cutworm moths. They can also devastate a vegetable garden, clematis, etc. Cutworms in home gardens : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

Last edited:
Looks like a cutworm. Feed them to the neps or any other means of disposing of them. I find them in my bog mostly in spring. They love to feast on sarracenia and can do a lot of damage, especially young shoots coming up. Some of my sarracenia pitchers are full of the cutworm moths. They can also devastate a vegetable garden, clematis, etc. Cutworms in home gardens : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

I'll get rid of it when I get home. I wish I knew what it was doing on dried leaves of Filliformis though. Not much to eat there, so maybe it was pupating.

I had them much up a couple of my binatas and capensis, super annoying.

It was a bad year for them around here. I had several plants damaged, although thankfully none lost to them.

I had an infestation of those this year. They chewed up all the D. binata and wrecked my entire capensis collection. They had a nasty habit of burrowing into the rosettes or roots of the capensis, so spray pesticides didn't work - I ended up submerging all of my trays underwater for 72 hours to get rid of them. The capensis lost all of their above-ground foliage and have only started coming back recently.

Back