What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider ID

I've never seen one of these before. It looks like some sort of wolf spider to me and seems to be taking residence in a rotted out hollow of a deck railing. I would estimate the length of the spider (including legspan) at about 2cm though I didn't get a real close look when it was out of its hole.

qa0dPbg.jpg

That spider is Phidippus audax commonly known as the bold jumping spider. So you know, that took about five seconds on Google and I thought that it looked like a jumping spider. Thanks for sharing the photo, it's an awesome looking spider.

A friend of mine just linked me that species too. I had no idea jumping spiders got so big... and yet another species that Wikipedia claims doesn't live here, yet apparently does.

Spiders can be introduced more easily than rats in my opinion. I can see why you thought that it was a wolf spider. The head reminds me of the jumping spiders here, but the thoroabdomen (anyone feel free to correct my spelling) looks too big.

Ok, I'm done rambling. :blahblah9xm:

I don't know if I have seen a jumping spider that big before but nice colors. I have always liked the little devils. :spider:

Yep, a jumping spider. I see them in my yard and some do get quite big.

The genus apparently contains some of the largest jumping spiders in the world. I've hardly even seen a jumper 2mm long before, much less 2cm.

Spiders can be introduced more easily than rats in my opinion. I can see why you thought that it was a wolf spider. The head reminds me of the jumping spiders here, but the thoroabdomen (anyone feel free to correct my spelling) looks too big.

Okay, here's the correction:
The "head" is the cephalothorax. The other section is the abdomen. :)

I knew I got it wrong, thanks.

This is an example of the big jumping spiders I see in my yard and around the CP pots, even ambushing from inside sarr pitchers. This one was perched on a 4" pot, wasp for scale :0o:

26299002830_9e122e71e8_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_1925x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Protect your plants from that thing. It might want to eliminate the competition. :0o:

I used to get those giant looking jumping spiders too. Quite fascinating, I would see them walking around my cucumbers with harvest men in their mouth parts.

Great pictures BTW!

Mostly see smaller species, but there are plenty around my house that get up to an inch long. Tried moving one out of the house last year and actually got bit by it, the only spider bite I've ever experienced and completely unexpected because I didn't think it was big enough to manage...

The one in the photo actually covered an entire sarr pitcher mouth with its nest web. They do catch bugs attracted to the pitchers, thieves! I like them though and probably spend way too much time watching the spiders who make the bog their home, especially the jumping spiders.

All sizes of jumping spiders come into the house at times riding on the dogs, but I leave the removal of those to someone else using a cup and piece of paper as I have a bit of a phobia to spiders in the house, haha. I will not allow them to be killed though, they go back outside away from the house, usually to the bog. I have been bitten by spiders before but never a jumping spider, by the looks of the mouth parts on the big ones I imagine it can be a pretty nasty bite.

Last edited:
The one in the photo actually covered an entire sarr pitcher mouth with its nest web. They do catch bugs attracted to the pitchers, thieves! I like them though and probably spend way too much time watching the spiders who make the bog their home, especially the jumping spiders.

All sizes of jumping spiders come into the house at times riding on the dogs, but I leave the removal of those to someone else using a cup and piece of paper as I have a bit of a phobia to spiders in the house, haha. I will not allow them to be killed though, they go back outside away from the house, usually to the bog. I have been bitten by spiders before but never a jumping spider, by the looks of the mouth parts on the big ones I imagine it can be a pretty nasty bite.

From what I have heard, jumping spiders are some of the most docile spiders. Many people keep them as pets, and even handle them with no problem.

Did the spider survive the hail storm? The little guy just occurred to me.

Just saw this thread and thought Id contribute as well.
More than anything, I see large yellow sac spiders trying to invade my pitchers.

It would be nice to see a jumper Visit my pitchers, but they seem to like finding their way inside
my house more often than any other spider. Sometimes, they reach the diameter of a quarter.
I sometimes notice them only because because I can hear them walking on the walls at that point.
They remind me of beefy, furry angry gorilla spiders.

Heres a (by average) smaller one I found last year inside.
He was roughly the size of a finger pad.

PobLoc3h.jpg

4ncod2Rh.jpg

7R5WnLyh.jpg

Nice pics. :spidersmile:

that last picture is cute! Its like he's tapping on the glass "hey let me outta here already!"

Nice shots, everyone. What amazes me about jumping spiders is that they are one of the very few spider groups that actually have good vision and you can tell by the way they respond to things around them. 'Makes them look kind of intelligent to me. I also love the colors some have.

Back