What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predatory Running Mites

These little red specks are running about a new wall at the front of the house. I've noticed them on a front windowsill ( external) for many years. Not to be confused with Red Spider Mite, the Running Mites are a biological control for that problem. Kind of cute in a spidery /mite sort of way.

26952458544_4499abdf05_o.jpg

Cool, can they do aphids too, because I've been having trouble with the this season and wouldn't mind a natural solution to them.

Last edited:
So you get different mites to control the pest mites? Interesting.

Organic growers of vegetables and herb use predatory mites , I have used some before but they are only effective in the correct temperature ( too cold and they do nothing), that's a good pic Fred those guys are tiny

Last edited:
Cool, can they do aphids too, because I've been having trouble with the this season and wouldn't mind a natural solution to them.

Try Ladybirds/ Ladybugs Curtis. They can be bought too, although the plants will also enjoy them

Last edited:
Nice shot, Fred. Assume it's a member of Trombidiidae?

They're actually very common, Nim. A lot folks wig out when they find them assuming they are red spidermite said (which really aren't very red to begin with) or some sort of blood feeder.

I "wigged" out the first time I saw them all over the bog several years ago until they were identified for me. I don't see them as much around the potted plants, but see lots in the bog.

Nice shot, Fred. Assume it's a member of Trombidiidae?

They're not Velvet Mites DE.

The only scale I can offer on those photos is that the textured background is smooth mortar. The bumps are sand grains.

This week I bought 2K of Neoseiulus californicus mite species to take care of my wife's house plants infestation. These guys are much longer "lasting" then the red mites in the OP as they can survive without food for a while and can even munch on pollen when starving. I had this happy maniacal laughter welling up inside me as I was spreading them all over her plants: GO MY MINIONS!!! GOOO!!!!

They are kinda cute when you don't zoom in on them. Also spread some on my cephs and I see them drink a nectar at the lip periodically.

The rule of thumb is: if you see a mite zooming around fast - it is your friend. If it slowly crawls around your plant - KILL IT!!

Last edited:
Back