What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The demise of a Lily beetle

• Thread starter fredg
  • Start date
Hands up all those feeling sorry for the Lily Beetle ( Lilioceris lilii)

29233088131_3e31a915c9_o.jpg

Cutie gets a Bluebottle

A topside view of one of the two in the Darlingtonia house, complete with her prey ( Bluebottle - Calliphora vomitoria )
She's a much lighter colour than the one above from the top greenhouse and to get the photo I had to shoot through the polycarbonate so the crispness is just a tad off.

28694965784_7c7b220232_o.jpg

Fred, again, amazing pictures! They are definitely quite beautiful with their markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just lucky enough to catch this.

I've never seen a male Araneus before, never mind watching one court a female and to cap it all he survived. Result

29234894892_19bb7ca3af_o.jpg

Well he tried his luck again and it looked like the mating was successful. Unfortunately this time she ate him

Poor little guy. He died with a smile on his face.[emoji7]

Hux, they don't actually mate. Here's a description - Jumping Spider Palpi

Here's the little fellow about an hour before she ate him.

29284824581_f3eb18413a_o.jpg

Last edited:
So amazing! Thanks for the link. Someone really knew what they were doing when they made spiders!
Thanks Fred.

Dinner time for some of the little ladies.

29476308465_8d2f3bfeb9_o.jpg

Some more very cool pics!

Another medium sized one has appeared down at the bottom of the garden. The web spreads over about 8ft so she's been letting out line from the fence to the Azalea then down to an Anemone, busy girl.
A nice faded light tan colour.

Last edited:
This male got quite attached to me when I was photographing him. At one point he was hanging off my nose.

Last edited:
Back