What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion of the Fishers

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Last week my daughter sent me a photo of a fishing spider on my grandson's bed. In the ensuing melee my grandson was bitten on the face and the poor spider was accidentally killed. My daughter would never deliberately kill a spider, we are a catch and release family. Since then she has found two more inside the house and one in a toy box outside.
In the 26 years I've been living here, I have had many fishers in out buildings but never any in the house itself. The only reason I can think she is getting so many is her children constantly in and out the back door and it not closing all the way. Any thoughts as to what attracts them to go inside?

if population density has spiked or habitat loss has occurred, then it would not be unusual for individuals to wander in search of new locations. If you daughter's family does not close their exterior doors completely, spiders and other creatures are bound to enter. Once inside, many will have difficulty finding a way to get back out -- assuming there is insufficient food and water sources to make them wish to remain.

She might want to get one of those magnetic screens that close after you walk through them. It might help prevent some of the trespassing critters.

Do you know what the bite was like? Pain/reaction/duration?

bite, bite, bite, yummmm

She might want to get one of those magnetic screens that close after you walk through them. It might help prevent some of the trespassing critters.

Do you know what the bite was like? Pain/reaction/duration?
The bite looked like a bee sting but a larger wheal. Pain at first, then itching, then lots of aching for about three days.

Back