Likes Likes:  12
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Mantid Madness!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, Hawken! Love the more exotic looking mantids, but, alas, far too high maintenance for such a short-live creature. Will have to simply live vicariously through you.

That basalis really brings home to me the fact that mantids and roaches are related .... the "shield" of the thorax is so roach-like.
    Last edited by DragonsEye; 12-28-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Very cool, Hawken! Love the more exotic looking mantids, but, alas, far too high maintenance for such a short-live creature. Will have to simply live vicariously through you.

That basalis really brings home to me the fact that mantids and roaches are related .... the "shield" of the thorax is so roach-like.
    Most really aren't that high maintenance, and as most of them can last well over a year from their first nymphal stage (some of them two) I wouldn't call most of them short-lived either. The hardest thing about them is ordering or breeding insects to feed them, and in the case of dubia roaches, waxworm moths, or just ordering flies, it's not a lot of work (dubias eat your plant refuse and old fruits, waxworms you just leave in a container of oat bran and honey, and the flies...order pupae and throw them in the container).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told the males were short-lived once they reached adulthood...and that they didn't eat often...but this guy munches on most of the flies I put in his cage and he's approaching a month and a half adult now...
    P. paradoxa male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay 2nd generation! I'll probably have ghosts available in a week or two now, and I still have several unhatched ooths that I might either hatch as well, or sell...
    P. paradoxa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    P. paradoxa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while since I posted in here...
    Parasphendale agrionina female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Hoping these girls breed better than their parents did...I kept all the nymphs from last time
    Hierodula membranacea female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    PIV (Prey Insect View)
    And the Florida bark mantids are finally big enough to see without a magnifying glass
    Gonatista grisea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Gonatista grisea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, those are big enough that I wouldn't stick my hands in their cages for fear of losing a finger!!

I recently got one of those cups of mantis from the plant/hardware store a couple weeks back that has ootheca in it. Nothing's hatched (yet? please be fertile...) but I'm hoping my outdoor neps have an infestation of mantids this year

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Do the Florida bark mantids stay small?
    Do they get more used to be handled the more you do or are they always sketchy and jumpy like the ones I pick up in the wild?

@thez_yo Notice even Hawken won't hold the Parasphendale agrionina!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever had one mantis actually try and bite me...and it was one of the little Elmantis females (they're the most vicious things I've kept so far). I certainly would hold the Parasphendale, I just don't bother moving them around/off their lids if I don't have to because it's often a headache to get a traveling mantis back in its cage (the female membranacea crawling on me in the above shots is far larger than the budwing, and did not want to go back in her house).

@adnedarn: these are the first Gonatista I've ever had, so I haven't tried handling them really yet (unless they crawl on me, in which case it's just trying to nudge them back in the container before the fruit flies escape). Couldn't say if they calm down with age, but I'd doubt it, though mine are not particularly jumpy. The less you move the less jumpy they'll be though.

@thez_yo: your "cup" probably has a Chinese mantis ooth in it; it's up in the air whether or not it will be fertile, but if it is, after diapause (the winter cold season) it'll usually take 1-2 months before hatching for most species, and the nymphs of that species tend to have a fairly high die-off rate so mist them regularly and don't disturb them if you don't have to. That said though, they're non-native and if they're going outdoors at all probably better if not too many end up making it. Better if a more native species was acquired and raised up (I think Carolina mantids are found in California, if not other related species are and plenty of keepers keep North American species).
    Growlist

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast