What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantid Madness!

• Thread starter hcarlton
  • Start date
Scared to ask, what did you imagine me looking like?
:-)) Mostly I think I thought you were older because you're particularly well-spoken.

Last edited:
I enjoyed keeping mantids back around 2010-2011. I didn't enjoy hatching housefly and blue bottle fly pupae and hearing flies buzzing and banging around in their hatching cups all the time. I used powered milk to fed the flies and bee pollen to coat them before feeding to the mantids.

I had Spiny flower mantids, ghost mantids, and a couple others I can't recall at the moment.

I noticed they are openly selling stick & leaf insects on ebay inside the USA (as "live bait / feeder food") have the laws changed? I remember they are illegal because the feds are afraid they'll eat farmers crops and become invasive but in most of the US it's too cold for the tropical species to naturalize.

Last edited:
:-)) Mostly I think I thought you were older because you're particularly well-spoken.

I've always been particular about expressing myself; things like run-on sentences drive me insane. Might the the writer side of me, or might just be the OCD, who knows...

Swords, I've only just started the mantid hobby and only know that it's perfectly legal for me to have mantids in my state; I know nothing about leaf and stick insects, but I could certainly imagine plenty of keepers having gone up in arms over them being illegal because they can't really naturalize anywhere (temperate species that generally are already here notwithstanding).

Those are some beautiful mantis! Here's my female Violin Mantis:

IMG_7945.jpg

She finally molted to an Adult lat month :-D and now I am on a mission to find her a mate~

Those are some beautiful mantis! Here's my female Violin Mantis:

View attachment 3830

She finally molted to an Adult lat month :-D and now I am on a mission to find her a mate~
She is absolutely gorgeous :) Congratulations on growing such a difficult species to adulthood.

If you like, I can ask around on the forum I'm on that's principally concerned with insects and arachnids to see if anyone is also looking for a mate.

Thank you! I think my success was that I kept it super warm (90s) and fed it a steady supply of fruit flies and black solider flies.

That would be amazing if you could find a male, but it is getting cold so I might just wait till Spring and hit up some different reptile expos around here.

She is absolutely gorgeous :) Congratulations on growing such a difficult species to adulthood.

If you like, I can ask around on the forum I'm on that's principally concerned with insects and arachnids to see if anyone is also looking for a mate.

If I ever get the space to set up proper heating etc. I'll eventually get into some of those species. Alas, I am limited on expansion as with everything else...

Thesprotia are finally getting to a size where I can actually photograph them and not the background
Thesprotia graminis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And one of the spinys was being prissy a few days ago, made for a good photo shoot
P. wahlbergii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

That wahlbergii is stunning :-O! You're making me really want to get one!!! Adding that to my wishlist along with diabolica and orchid mantis. I understand the limits on space, with my collection of plants, snakes, lizards, and insects, I surprise myself on how I continue to find space for more and more species. My violin's tank sits on top of my LED quad light which keeps her tank at a toasty 95.

If I ever get the space to set up proper heating etc. I'll eventually get into some of those species. Alas, I am limited on expansion as with everything else...

Thesprotia are finally getting to a size where I can actually photograph them and not the background

And one of the spinys was being prissy a few days ago, made for a good photo shoot

wahlbergii update...all but one I think are now at subadult; unfortunately that one is a female, who needs to be ahead of the males...
My 2 biggest Heterochaeta, the 2nd now at least 5" long
H. orientalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And "Luciano" is now a subadult
S. lineola by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
S. lineola by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The 3rd male Elmantis to mature; they don't last long, but the females keep going, and going, and going...anybody want an egg case from these guys?
Elmantis sp. male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Elmantis sp. male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And, I has new arrivals! Ootheca from Hierodula membranacea (one of the Giant Asian mantids) now incubating, and these guys are Giant Malaysian Shield mantids
Rhombodera basalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
When newly molted, they're blue

Mr. Pink, my most mature spiny flower mantis, molted to adult today! He's a bit ahead of either female, so might miss his chance to mate, but he's worth keeping around just to look at too...
Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii "Mr. Pink" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Darker shots to try and get the wing details more

Turns out, Mr. Pink shed all his pink as he darkened...
Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The biggest of the grass mimics
"Blue"
The male murderer...
Elmantis sp. by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
All hail His Stickness, king of the converted sweets container :D
Heterochaeta orientalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Wow! Well done! I suspect you won't have trouble finding people to relieve you of extras :)

They hatched yesterday and I've spent hours trying to get them all into cups now; turns out I won't have anywhere near enough containers either :p . The prediction was around 100 nymphs, but pretty sure I've got at least double that.

Just in time for Christmas! I had that happen to me once but I think you are much better prepared than I was. Good luck!

Last edited:
More like 5 days late for Hannukah; I don't observe christmas.

Schmiggle: I hope so, but with easily over 200 nymphs, even if only half make it it might be a while before I find enough people to buy them. Took me forever to get rid of the 40 or so extra Elmantis nymphs I had...

I never knew a mantis could be those colors! They all look really cool.
Happy Holidays!

Female #1, no longer Mrs. Pink but more of a Mrs. Teal
And the male again 'cause he's cool
The big stick female is now, I believe, subadult, and nearly as long as my hand. Jumped on my sister when she tried videotaping the amusing insect, and the reaction was even more amusing...
Shelf contents of the main portion of the menagerie
The mantis menagerie by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And both my orchids molted; caught one in the act
Hymenopus coronatus by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Apparently the act leaves them thirsty...
The other one was a little more camera shy

That Heterochaeta is magnificent!

Back