What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slurm, about me

My name is Shawn and I once kept a P.grandiflora alive for about a year. WOOt

Seriously though, this was quite a feat seeing as I live in Georgia!(the poor thing spent most of it's existance dormant in the freezer)
smile_h_32.gif

I am now trying to convince my parents not to fix the furnace, this is the first time my home temps. have been suitable for....... anything!

I enjoy building battle robots(like battlebots/robot wars tv series) and growing obscure, intermediate nepenthes hybrids.......... N.campanulata x xiphiodes anyone?

I don't just grow plants, I have been growing a red afro for a couple years!

Hey slurm, what a wonderful name!!!
biggrin.gif
It kinda reminds me of a drink from the coke company.

Im shocked that no one said hi!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Slurm is from futurama, one of the best cartoons ever!!!!!!

Were you the guy on the Disney segment about CP?

It must be him, because I want to the disneychannel website and the person's name is Shawn and....has red hair and it's an afro. Unless there's another Shawn with a red hair afro...and happens to grow cps then that's just a weird coincedence. The question I should be asking is why are you watching the Disney Channel?
J/k
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 17 2006,5:40)]The question I should be asking is why are you watching the Disney Channel?
J/k  
smile_n_32.gif
Now that's pretty funny. I'm waiting for Hillary Duff to go sleazy like Brittany and Christina so I can say "I remember when she was a good girl"? The real answer could be my 9yo daughter was watching and I overheard venus fly trap while cooking dinner. Or, I could just be a really immature 45 yo! Take your pick. I didn't hear the name Shawn, but it makes sense to me, and yup, that would be a weird coincidence!

Yes, I'm that Shawn. The disney segment was shot back in may at The CP greenhouse at the Chattahoochee Nature center. I have kept most of my CP's and Succulents there since all of my plants were wiped out by mealie bugs several years back. As you have probably seen from the segment, my succulent collection is much more extensive than my carnivorous plant collection. Almost all of the CP's in the background belong to the greenhouse owner(Henning von Schmelling). All of the succulents in the background are mine.

Very Cool. Nice to have a 'celeb' in our midst. And your hair looks great!
smile.gif

i saw a bical in the background in that shot. where did you get the money for that HUGE greenhouse?

It's not mine, the greenhouse is at a nearby nature center. I keep all my suculents and a few of my neps their. Almost all of the cp's belong to the greenhouse owner, but the bical is mine
smile.gif
I'm glad I got to show it in the disney clip . I've had it for 8 years. All of the succulents in the background are mine. Most of my small cp collection lives at the nature center because my neighborhood zoning ordinances don't allow greenhouses. I am growin several plants under lights. I have found that rising gas prices + bad furnace= good highland environment in the winter. I am experimenting with intermediates to see if they can take highland conditions in the winter and lowland conditions in the summer.

Back