What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zealous newbie introducing herself and her VFT!

Hello!
smilie4.gif
smilie4.gif
smilie4.gif

Newbie here, with her very first post!

I am Caro, I have JUST started my Venus Fly Trap obsession and it is exploding into a furious fire! I received one from Equilibrio yesterday and paid $20 (shipping costs included) and received what I thought was going to be a 6+ year old Dionaea typical, but unfortunately, had 4 or so measly, shut, 1/2 inch traps. I had already anticipated the plant to be a tiny one, but this small for a 6+ year old?? Oh well, maybe it's still Spring here in SoCal (albeit blazingly hot).

I'm still excited and am gingerly taking good care of it nonetheless, slowly trickling bits of distilled water a few times a day, exposing it to vivid California sunlight and placing it in a glass water tray.

Unfortunately, I wish I found this forum before I had purchased my plant from Equilibrio, evidence strikes me here that fellow fanatics and caretakers swap, sell, or give away hearty, healthy, blushed plants that seem to be a handful of years old, yielding, lush, gigantic 1-inch traps in profusion. I would have been MORE than willing to purchase a plant from an American member here. I've seen some of your pictures and was absolutely thunderstruck by the enormous, abundant traps, with the most attractive crimson colourings. (seethes in jealousy) Hence, I don't think I will be ordering from Equilibrio ever again. This website also has affordable fly traps, I wonder how young/tiny they are.

Pictures of course, of my very first Venus Fly Trap. I am quickly going to order/purchase/find more that are older, larger, redder ASAP.

----------Sorry, ignore the Lost DVD set! (Crazed fan of that, too)

Hee, so I have some general quick questions:

1. The humidity here is approximately 50% (so says weather.com for my zip code). I still like to trickle an ounce or so of distilled water on it 4 times a day, is this too much? Or too little?

2. Judging from my pictures, about how old would you guess my VFT to be, and how long might it take for it to reach 1 inch traps if I take care of it diligently?

3. Would it be too much for this tiny plant if I fed it an ANT in one of its traps? (One is slowly opening back up)

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

Caro

Moved to introduce yourself too, since she did! LOL!!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks!!!

Ps. Am I allowed to ask questions about care/tips in the care and tips forum?

Absolutely! Now, back to your corner, and come out swingin'!!!!

Welcome to the very addicting world of CP's.

It's hard to say the age of the plant, but judging from the size, if good care is provided it should be able to get 1" traps this growing season.
I grow all my VFT's outside in full sun during the growing season, but right now they are still asleep. Lot's of snow coming down right now.
I would not worry about feeding for a little while. Let the plant get accustom to the new growing area first.

Welcome to the forums Carito! You'll enjoy it here
biggrin.gif

Hi Caro and welcome to CP... I mean TF! I wish I could say that I could determine the age of your plants - but I am not experienced in that area. A couple years ago I posed the same question and got less than conclusive assessments. I can tell you this, though: I purchased a VFT in June of 2003 and placed my plant (which seems to be about the same size and age of yours) in a well-washed plastic pretzel container. The traps were ~1/2" at purchase. I placed it at a window sill and by August the traps attained 1". Then I tried an experiment because I was going to be gone for a week. I put the lid on it to keep in the humidity and prevent water loss. Bad move! I unanticipatedly created a mini-greenhouse effect. Traps blackened and died. Subsequent traps were smaller and it took a couple more months to get the plant straightened out. What I am getting at is that humidity is over-rated and air circulation is a must. Another must is adequate lighting. Being in California gives you an advantage in that you could, if you wanted to, place your plants outside all year round. The most important factors for them, ultimately, are light, air circulation, water, and dormancy.

As far as feeding goes, though, these plants don't need as much direct help as what we would like to offer. We tend to overfeed them and that can be detrimental. When outside / in nature, they catch what they need. As Elgecko says, it is best to give a new plant time to get acclimated.

The fellow above me (Bugweed) is one of the foremost carnivorous plant growers (over 4 decades) and is an ecellent source of information. He is also a little north of you! FYI, there are two main carnivorous plant societies in California - LACPS and BACPS. The former is based in LA and the latter somewheres near SF. Not sure where you are from!

This discussion forum is also an excellent source for procuring plants far beyond what the garden centers supply - and we don't sell them. The most monetary outlay is that someone may ask for shipping ($3.85) or a SASE for seeds, which is only the cost of 2 stamps and maybe a couple buck tossed inside. In other words, this hobby can be done on a shoestring budget and we have a whole mess of generous forum-folk here. Check out the Trading Post. There aren't a whole lot of offerings at the moment, but there will be, come springtime. The sponsor of this discussion forum (Petflytrap or Jungle) also sells plants online, if you desire.

Enjoy the forum - I have!

Carito,
You can learn alot of what not to do by asking that experimental crazy jimscott guy. He's got loads of stories, and quite a legacy here.

Oh do not worry Carito, I've met Scott a few times and unfortunately he has move far away now and I can only pick on him in cyberspace.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Feb. 11 2006,10:15)]Carito,
You can learn alot of what not to do by asking that experimental crazy jimscott guy. He's got loads of stories, and quite a legacy here.

Oh do not worry Carito, I've met Scott a few times and unfortunately he has move far away now and I can only pick on him in cyberspace.
smile_m_32.gif
Hey Steve, Thanks for providing the caveats! We certainly have quite a cast of forum characters here - 3 Steves and a me. All we're missing is JBL & Ozzy.

Jimscott:

Thank you SO MUCH for the elaborate help! I researched many sites before finally posting my questions, I somewhat predicted all the answers, but wanted to be sure, since I know VFT's are a precarious plant.

I am EXTREMELY CLOSE to LA, in fact I attended UCLA and graduated last year. (Current occupation: bum, living off her Korean parents). I would be thrilled to check out the LACPS.

I will be dwelling in the trading post, and most gratefully so
smile.gif

This is so embarrassing, I am so excited and obsessed, I will raise a farm of these kitties, I would bounce around to see hordes of VFT everywhere.

-Caro

I'm very tempted to send you a free 'Big Mouth' VFT to make up for your Equilibrio experience, except they're just about to come out of the fridge (as mostly just a rhizome) and though it should grow there's no guarantee it made it through dormancy ok.

If you can bear the heartbreak of a possible dud, it's all yours.

'Big Mouth' might be a misnomer though... my typical makes bigger traps so far...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Feb. 12 2006,1:35)]I'm very tempted to send you a free 'Big Mouth' VFT to make up for your Equilibrio experience, except they're just about to come out of the fridge (as mostly just a rhizome) and though it should grow there's no guarantee it made it through dormancy ok.

If you can bear the heartbreak of a possible dud, it's all yours.

'Big Mouth' might be a misnomer though... my typical makes bigger traps so far...
WUUUUOOOOAHHHh!!!! Neeeaatt!!!

(heart thuds in excitement)

Out of all the varieties I have been obsessively looking at today (displays her utter geekdom and fanaticism) the Big Mouth was the one I wanted to purchase the most!! After seeing pictures like http://www.yourecommerce.com/hosting/phong%5Fnguyen/Big%20Mouth10.jpg, I was immediately won over. I saw some websites selling the plant for like 10 British Pounds (that's like $20) plus charged TWICE that for shipping, and I was about to give up! I guess secondly I would like to own the Red Dragon.

I would most definitely still take care of it! How long does it usually take to emerge from its dormancy if I gingerly tend to it?

I got my first VFT yesterday and tonight, I am pleased to see the traps opening with ruddy pigmentation nestled inside, I think it is enjoying my meager attempt at spoiling it.

What climate are you from? And how many VFTs do you have? ARe they all in the fridge? What is your favourite variety?

Good night,
Caro

Welcome!

Feel free to check out my (unfinished) website in my signature for info about CPs and pictures of my plants.

Glad to know that you found CPs! They're great
cool.gif

Welcome to the forums, hub of some of the oddest, if not entertaining folk around!
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers
Amori

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too. I got my first VFTs, a Red Dragon and a Typical from Equilibrio as well. A little pricey but he shipped them very quickly. They were well packed too. I also just got 3 more from a local garden center for $5 a piece that were much larger. I got a Nep Alata or Ventrata as well! I scored!

I think we're both in trouble here, I'm sure I'll be going nuts buying more in the coming months!

Tom

Welcome to Terraforums!
smile.gif

I recently "rescued" a VFT from a local nursery in mid-December where they were in little plastic cups. I knew that I just had to get 'em outta there. Here's the little guy now:

vftplant3web.jpg

I think VFTs are pretty awesome, and I hope you have success with these plants.

-Ben

A big "Welcome Caro!" from the deep south. I would definitely look into LACPS, you will find a wealth of knowledge there - as you will here. I wish there was a cp club around here
smile_h_32.gif
, I have not seen a live CP lover (in person) since I left Seattle 2+ years ago! I have found this forum to be a great place to grow my knowledge, my contacts, and my collection!

Oh,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We certainly have quite a cast of forum characters here - 3 Steves and a me. All we're missing is JBL & Ozzy.
Make that 4 Steves now!
Welcome and enjoy your new affliction!

PM me for a welcome gift VFT.:p

welcome caro!!! Nice to see other exicted CPer around here.
I'm a huge LOST fan myself.
I may be able to help you out with a "red dragon" but we'll have to wait a sec...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would most definitely still take care of it! How long does it usually take to emerge from its dormancy if I gingerly tend to it?
If I remember right it didn't take very long at all. Each new leaf would come in at about the same rate as with an established plant. It might also flower, which is worth seeing at least once.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What climate are you from? And how many VFTs do you have? ARe they all in the fridge? What is your favourite variety?
I'm in Virginia, so VFTs are right at home here, but I haven't really grown them outside yet. I had a very shady yard, but just moved a few months ago and have a VFT-friendly deck now.

They're all in the fridge except a couple baby Big Mouths which are taking forever to grow up. I don't have many, just Typical, Dente, and Big Mouth.

I don't really have a favorite variety... I ended up more interested in Neps... but I'd probably pick Red Dragon.

I'll toss in a welcome to ya, and yours (VFT that is) Hope you enjoy the community here. Be patient, and the plants will find their way to you. And even when you have the plants you want you find you want more. Welcome to the addiction.
biggrin.gif

Back