What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New CP enthusiast saying hello.

My name is Kris, I am in my 20s (though how far into them... well, I'm just not mentally prepared to say... :cry: ) and yes... I am a rare female in a guy-dominated hoby. I am from a rural part of Oklahoma, in the US, and I generally like long nature walks, as long as there is a minimum of stinging insects.

My hobies have included gardening (which I've done since my teens), tropical aquaria (which I've done since I was about 13, and still do), Saltwater aquaria (which I did for about five years), and raising exotic/rare plants. Some of my favourite "exotics" are the mandrakes which are severely endangered due to their low growth rate, and the encroaching of urban and sub-urban areas.

I received my first CP about a month ago, and have been devouring all the information I can find on them since then... something pretty typical for me. I currently have seven plants, all of which appear to be doing either quite well, or about average. My Dentata VFT has produced three new traps in what seems like about a week... which leads me to believe there's more than one plant in there.

I run my own business making and selling ceramics and other hand crafts, aimed toward the new-age/neopagan market. I also make more "average" things, which I sell at fairs and hope to begin selling over the internet.

I am also an ordained (non-denominational) minister, who occasionally does things like house-blessings, and relationship counciling.

I hope to be around for quite some time, because these plants are just too lovely to get tired of.

(Currently Growing: VFT Typical, VFT Dentata, Cobra Lily, D. Adelae, S. Minor, Unknown Nepenthe)

Hi and welcome!

I am not surprised by a surge in growth for you right now - OK should just be entering the "growing season" for temperate CPs (VFT's, sars) right about now.

Too bad my plants are still burried under snow! I have at least another month before mine start up....
smile_h_32.gif

Hi and welcome to the forums! If you post a pic of your uknown nep to the "Identify That Plant!" forum, we can take a shot at ID-ing it for you.

@schloaty: You've got snow!? I'm in the middle of the Colorado mountains and don't have a single snowflake in my yard or any where else in the neighborhood.
confused.gif

Welcome to CP... I mean TerraForums!
smile.gif

Welcome, and get ready to lose your sanity here.... Umahahahahaha
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Dimka! We have sanity here???? ALL RIGHT!! WHO BROUGHT THIS SANITY IN HERE???????? Clean it up and get back to insanity!! MOVE ALONG! NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!!!!

Oh yeh. WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forums.
The addiction is just starting I see.

I also have had fresh and salt water tanks also.

Welcome! And like Elgecko said, it seems that your addiction is just starting.

Beware, it can quickly go from addiction to obsession
cool.gif

If wanting to go out in sleet and ice to get more plants is -wrong-... well, I just don't wanna be right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EntwinedScylla @ Feb. 18 2006,12:22)]If wanting to go out in sleet and ice to get more plants is -wrong-... well, I just don't wanna be right.
That sounds like an adaptation to an old Luther Ingram song from 1972.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hullo!!!

Exciting!

I love your username, makes me think of Scylla & Charybdis.

Welcome, I too am a newbie myself and was so warmly welcomed by the committee as well. There is absolutely no arrogance from senior members, but kindness, intelligence, and wit.

I hope you have a digital camera and can show pics of your plants

::whispering:: particularly of your venus fly traps
smile.gif

Caro

Back