What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all. Alright, I'm tired of being a lurker. I've had an adequate time to acclimate. Time to leave the shadows and come into the light. Let me tell you about myself. My name is Chris and I'm 23 years old. I first got involved in cp's in the fall of 2003. I was watching tv on a Saturday morning and a local news reporter mentioned that venus flytraps were being sold at a fall festival. Hearing the words of carnivorous plant sparked a chain reaction in my head. I grabbed my keys and drove out there as fast as i could. I ended up leaving with a vft and a S. leucophylla. I had bought the plants from the St. Louis Carnivorous Plant Society. Sadly the plants didn't make it through the winter. I put them in our shed and i think a squirrel ate both of them. The following summer I bought a coulpe of Home Depot cp's in the domed cups and joined the local carnivorous plant society. I bought some more plants from the society that Fall. Sadly they all died because I wintered them incorrectly. Last winter/spring was the first time my temperate plants made it through dormancy.
smile.gif
I'm still in the St. Louis CPS and we're actually having our Show & Sale tomorrow at the Missouri Botanical Garden( shameless plug). This is probably the best place to get help with my carnivorous plant addiction. I want to be in control of the plants and not them be in control of me. Sorry post was so long. That's my cp story and I'm sticking to it.

Welcome to TerraForums! I hope you're scarfing up some of the auction offerings. Also pay attention to that which is being offered through the Trading Post. Lotsa good stuff there!

Welcome to the forums Chris. Congratulations on getting your plants through their first dormancy. I'm still working on it. So far the only thing that has worked was a 'fridge dormancy.

Hi there

Welcome to the forums! Every single CP grower has their own horror stories of death and destruction...even after they have years of experience. It happens.

Stick around, ask questions and it won't be long before you have a great collection going. And good luck at the Show & Sale. That will be fun!

PF - Welcome, man. I grew up across the river from you. Nice to see a cp presence in the homeland.  
smile_m_32.gif

setep (Ron Ruppel)

Thanks for the greeting all. It's great to be in TF family now. I'm going to pick up some new plants at our show and maybe bid on a couple of auction plants here.

A CP addict, huh??? Well, just say no to common houseplants, and you will feel a whole lot better!!! LOL!!!!! Welcome to the forums. I am sure there is somebody on this forum who knows something about CP! Maybe!

Welcome, lurking is a good way to absorb as much information as you can! I dont blame you!

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've had an adequate time to acclimate
hehehe the humidity dome is off, eh?? Good, in no time you'll be "clumping"
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your experience here!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ June 13 2006,8:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've had an adequate time to acclimate
hehehe the humidity dome is off, eh?? Good, in no time you'll be "clumping"
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your experience here!
....and in 6 months or so - dormancy! How do ya like being tossed in a fridge!
smile_m_32.gif

Back