What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heya. I've been lurking around here for a bit, shortly after finding a copy of The Savage Garden at a local bookstore and deciding to get back into growing CPs again. I've kept VFTs pretty much since I was little, and have a nice, vigorous one now, but it's been a long time since I've grown anything else. (I think I gave up about ten years ago when some squirrels ate my little bog -- VFT, couple different types of pitchers, butterwort, sundew -- everything was devestated.)

So -- I'm giving it a shot again. My immediate goal is to get at least one sample of each major type of CP -- pitchers, sundews, pings, and ultrics -- and to that end, I've joined the International Carnivorous Plant Society and put in an order to their seed bank. Here's to hoping the USPS works quickly. ;) Soon, I should have seed for various sundews and Sar. pitchers, yay.

I live on Long Island, and there are, supposedly, at least two or three species of sundews and at least one species of pitcher here, along with some bladderworts, but I still haven't actually managed to find any in the wild. I'd dearly love to get myself some plants that're actually native to the area, but with the rarity of local species, their protected nature, and the fact that the only stands I've heard of are on protected land -- I couldn't legally or morally justify taking even cuttings or seeds, if I found some plants.

Aside from that, I'm a computer geek and an amateur photographer trying to parlay his skills into something that'll make me money. I specialize, particularly, in taking pictures of the things that carnivorous plants eat. ;) Here's one of my most recent ones:

weevil_CRW_4236.jpg

Anyway, this seems like a nice place, and I'm learning stuff from it already.

Hi Sev and welcome to TerraForums! Where on the Island are you? I was born the Bronx but grew up on the Island, in Huntington. Now I live ~300 miles west of you, near Buffalo. There are several others from Long Island as well.

Lets Go Mets!
smile.gif

Welcome, Sev -
smile.gif

Nice photo!

Welcome to the forums Sev. Stick around here and you'll find yourself with plenty of plants.
smile.gif

I hope you stick around, learn some new things and enjoy the community. We have great members here.

I can't see any image or link.
confused.gif
I enjoy photography too. And you'll see lots of photos posted here on the forums.

Welcome and have fun!

-Suzanne/PAK

OOO a wevill!!! my taxtonomy is failing on me... whats its scientific name again?

Hi, well im a photographer too and I take pictures of my plants
smile.gif
... I am a linux fan ... I live in long island as well... and ARE YOU KIDDING!? fire island has trillions of little sundews if you know where to find them also gardener and plum islands have some of the purple pitcher plants i do believe they were introduced at the same time they introduced dionae and those sundews into the nj pine barrens... i have a outdoor inground bog that i made out of a large storage container i got at wallmart, the rubras flowered this spring and the leocophyllias (spelling?) are doing amazing. Drosera also does very well around here and also he have many spieces of aquatic utricularias BUT i know of no terrestrial utrics.. I always wanted to see them...I also have an anoying habit of ending a sentence with three periods!
wellcome

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 19 2006,7:01)]Hi Sev and welcome to TerraForums! Where on the Island are you? I was born the Bronx but grew up on the Island, in Huntington. Now I live ~300 miles west of you, near Buffalo. There are several others from Long Island as well.

Lets Go Mets!
smile.gif
Eastern Long Island, near Shirley. I grew up in East Northport.
smile.gif

And yeah -- let's go Mets -- screw the Yankees! ;)

OOO a wevill!!! my taxtonomy is failing on me... whats its scientific name again?

Heck if I know! ;) I've always been rather poor at keeping track of such things unless I make a really concerted effort to.

... I am a linux fan ... I live in long island as well... and ARE YOU KIDDING!? fire island has trillions of little sundews if you know where to find them also gardener and plum islands have some of the purple pitcher plants i do believe they were introduced at the same time they introduced dionae and those sundews into the nj pine barrens...

I've been trying at a few places on the Island -- the Quogue reserve, and soon the Cranberry Bog Preserve, along with always throwing the ol' hairy eyeball at anywhere I walk through that's boggy. I haven't heard of any places on Fire Island that have any CP's -- if you would, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me where to look.
smile.gif
Where the heck is Gardner's Island? D'you need your own boat for access?

Drosera also does very well around here and also he have many spieces of aquatic utricularias BUT i know of no terrestrial utrics..

Yeah, AFAIK, all of the ultrics on the Island are aquatic -- but then again, it's been difficult to track down this information, so I might be wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
smile.gif

wevils are Coleoptera Cerculionidae.

Yes you do need a boat to go to plum and gardiners island. Unfortunatelymy dad loves to fish (dont like fishing at all
confused.gif
) so he get his permitt somewhere on fire island. Whenever we go there, i allways find drosera rotundifolia growing along the trickles of water that stream to the sea. We have bogs in suffolk called the long island pine barrens that have tons of utricularia and drosera and ive only once seen one pitcher plant.

Welcome! Great shot what kind of camera do you use?

I personaly am Into Photography too, Im looking at it as a carrer choice. Dunno though. Botany or horticulture, a minor in entemolgy?? TO MANY CHOICES!

The savage garden is a great book to learn about the Basics of Carnivorous plants. This place is a great place for making friends and learning about Carnivorous plants to!! stupid squirls..

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ June 19 2006,9:23)]
Welcome! Great shot what kind of camera do you use?

Canon 10D. That was taken with my Phoenix 100mm f3.5 macro.

I personaly am Into Photography too, Im looking at it as a carrer choice. Dunno though. Botany or horticulture, a minor in entemolgy?? TO MANY CHOICES!

My advice would be to go to school for something like you mentioned, and do photography on the side. It's -hard- to make it work, and all artists should have 'real jobs' to fall back on. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ June 19 2006,8:15)]Yes you do need a boat to go to plum and gardiners island. Unfortunatelymy dad loves to fish (dont like fishing at all
confused.gif
) so he get his permitt somewhere on fire island. Whenever we go there, i allways find drosera rotundifolia growing along the trickles of water that stream to the sea. We have bogs in suffolk called the long island pine barrens that have tons of utricularia and drosera and ive only once seen one pitcher plant.
I've slowly been scouting the Barrens, but haven't found anything yet. If I ever get a boat, though, I'll have to check out Plum & Gardeners. Are there any spots on Fire Island close to those accessable by ferry/road that you know of?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sev @ June 19 2006,7:36)]
Eastern Long Island, near Shirley.  I grew up in East Northport.
smile.gif

And yeah -- let's go Mets -- screw the Yankees! ;)
East Northport?! I once dated a girl I met at a bowling alley that went to the hugh school. My sister resided in E. Northport - Daywood Ct., between Pulaski & Clay Pitts., off of Elwood.

And amen to the anti-Yankee sentiment! This could be our year!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 19 2006,10:32)]
East Northport?! I once dated a girl I met at a bowling alley that went to the hugh school. My sister resided in E. Northport - Daywood Ct., between Pulaski & Clay Pitts., off of Elwood.

And amen to the anti-Yankee sentiment! This could be our year!
Heh.
smile.gif
I know the area, I've got a friend who lives near there, on Franklin.

Frankly, I don't care -whose- year it is, so long as it isn't the Yankees'! ;)

BTW, I read that as "Duct tape, Meth, and Google are our friends" for a minute. Talk about double-takes.

No.... that's definitely an 'a' in there. But it did make me look to make sure.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Photography for the government allways is something stable... Then I can do the ARt stuff, the SErious stuff and get payed good too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ June 20 2006,12:28)]Photography for the government allways is something stable... Then I can do the ARt stuff, the SErious stuff and get payed good too.
Yeah, but there aren't too many of those jobs out there. ;)

yea their are... My mom retierd and she says theyare all ways wanting some one.

IT would be for the Airforce they treat their people better than the army or any thing ealse. But Iill rember that thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ June 20 2006,1:22)]yea their are... My mom retierd and she says theyare all ways wanting some one.

IT would be for the Airforce they treat their people better than the army or any thing ealse. But Iill rember that thanks!
Aaaah. Yeah, I'm not going to Enlist for a job -- not that they'd take me anyway. I'd never make it through Basic, between asthma and allergies and other stuff. ;)

Back