What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok Here It Goes

• Thread starter FarmerDave
  • Start date
Farmer Dave requested this be moved to Introduce Yourself. That's fine by me.
(You're welcome.
wink.gif.gif
)

Thanks! I thought that this would be more appropriate:;):

Does it really matter?I don't think so.

Jerry

I just HAD to see why this particular topic is 11 pages! I'll put in my 2 cents worth on the alternative topic, before I go to work and disappear for another couple few days:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe the bible says that all sins are equal in the eyes of god.

correct me if i'm wrong

While some Christians jump all over the gay issue, which I'm sure will be replaced by another issue, eventually, Clint hit the nail on the head. For some reason, heterosexual lust takes a backseat to being gay. Being "normal", isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

Anyhoo, Dave, welcome to TF!

How did I miss this topic??
oh.gif

Sorry for being so late but...congratulations Farmer Dave!
clap9re.gif
banana2.gif

That's a big step you took and I feel honored that you decided to take it with our community! We have a diverse group here but overall, its a very close-knit group. I think you'll find all the support you need from gay, non-gay and bi members alike. Like Ozzy said, I hope one day we will live in a world where differences are celebrated and not a reason to hate or discriminate.

Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your new-found "freedom" here. Maybe in the future you'll take steps to be yourself with family and friends. And remember...*TRUE friends* will support you and treat you no differently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why is it necessary to share your private sexual orientation

The General Forum is the heart of this community. People make announcements here ALL the time...promotions, births, deaths, pet deaths, pet acquisitions, graduation, school scores, job losses, break-ups, new girlfriends or boyfirends, marriages, illnesses, sadness... You name it, its been shared. Sexual orientation is just one of a myriad of human conditions its perfectly fine to share here.

Heterosexuals share their personal events like marriages, births, engagements, etc., all the time. Why is the discovery/acceptance of one's sexual orientation any different? And especially since coming out of the closet is so hard to do considering what the potential risks are. It IS a big deal. Its a big step forward for someone accepting who they are and learning to love themselves. So Farmer Dave has every right to post here.

As stated in our rules, any topics someone finds distasteful...don't read or participate is the best way to handle it.

And...this topic is about Farmer Dave's big step...not really a religious discussion. Back on topic please! Fine to debate the religious aspects of homosexuality but start a new topic so we don't step on Dave's.
smile.gif

YAY! GO PAK!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 08 2006,7:48)]Oh god I can't stand the antici......................................

pation.

OOOOH ok I see. Thanks finch. I was expecting one of my famous deep existential ponderings...
Haha, straight from Franken Furter himself...

I have a "so what" reaction myself. Work in the Fashion Industry after all...

I've said it once and i'll say it again. Rocky Horror is THE best movie ever made. Plain and simple.

I'll make you a maahaan!

I guess I could jump in here too with a few comments, being a gay man too and all--

Farmer Dave, it really is no big deal, and I personally hope that you will simply be comfortable and happy and enjoy your life from your own unique perspective.

I personally like to call homosexuality an "affectional preference" rather than a "sexual preference," because it seems like anti-gay folk tend to be obsessed with the sex part, which has always seemed somewhat odd to me.

Anyway, responding briefly to the person who asked why it seems necessary to share one's private sexual preference, I can offer this-- A gay person often feels a subdued but constant pressure from the society he or she lives in, caused by the assumption people usually make that a person is heterosexual, unless they are told otherwise by the person him or herself.

A gay person can become very aware of a dissonance between others' views of him and his own views of himself. At a certain point a gay person, just like any person feeling a difference between what others think of him and what he thinks of or knows about himself, feels more or less obliged to correct these misimpressions of others around him. It helps to clear the air and to get one's interpersonal relationships and interactions on the right track, without some big, bad bogeyman of an unstated and hidden fact, or a false assumption, always lurking in the background.

I don't want to address the religious issue much, except to say that in my case I was raised among Christian missionaries of various denominations in the Amazon rainforest of South America, and those difficult circumstances caused me to do a lot of heavy-duty thinking at an early age and to come to my own conclusions.

Actually, I'm glad that happened because it made me question beliefs rather than simply accepting and absorbing them indiscriminately. I ultimately concluded that a person's spiritual beliefs as a whole is a matter that is directly between oneself and the physical and perhaps nonphysical environments in which one has his experience, and I came to believe that one should not rely on any external "authority" such as a group, a person or a book for answers to or information about life's questions that his own experience can and should provide.

Be true to yourself Dave, OK? If you lose a few friends because they don't approve of you being gay, then so what? Maybe they'll come around, maybe they won't. But you wouldn't want to have them as friends if they couldn't accept you as the person you are, right?
smile.gif

Be happy, enjoy life. To a great many people nowadays, being gay or having a gay friend is so not a big deal. I think that most people have at least one gay or lesbian or bisexual member in their immediate or extended family, and it seems like almost everybody knows somebody or has a friend who is gay.

Well, I've rambled on long enough, and a lot longer than I expected to.
smile.gif

Best wishes,

Steve / xscd

That was a touching post
smile.gif

Back