What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Hello Everyone!

I'm Nathan and just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. It's been a great source of information already as I've been reading up on topics for the past month or so.

A bit about me, I'm currently 25 and live in Northern Illinois. I started growing plants when I was about 13, carnivorous plants about 14-15. Sadly due to college, I was never able to keep my collection going since I was living in 2 new locations almost every year. (Moving from dorm rooms to back home, apartments, etc). Finally I feel I've been able to settle down and focus on my old hobby again.

This year I started off growing bonsai trees and exotic plants as they can be more fogiving to the wrong environment. (and give me time to correct it) However I feel comfortable that I've been able to work with my setup and tune it correctly to be home of my CP hobby once again.

So while I don't have a huge collection of CP's yet, I'm quickly looking to expand my collection! :)

I'll take you on a quick tour of my setup here as I love looking at setups that people post. They are a great source of inspiration for ideas!

First off this is my main growing stand. Home built using PVC pipe. Currently using two rows. I grow all of my trees and exotics here. Mostly sheet moss and spag. moss is growing on the bottom. Hopefully I'll be using that stock to build a nice terrerium this winter.
pvcstand1.jpg

This is my new aquatic stand that I built, it has 3 shelves and can fit 9 10-gallon tanks total with the face vewing or 18 if I stack them in there. I also enjoy aquatic plants and fish so this stand is painted in an expoy floor paint that protects the wood from water. I currently have my CP tanks here since the stand is stronger than the PVC one.
(I should have cleaned it up for the photo)
aquastand1.jpg

aquastand2.jpg

Quick view of the 75 gallon Koi tank. (baby sitting some koi for the winter)
koitank1.jpg

Two pics of my CP tanks.
First thank is my Highland Nepenthes tank which has a bunch of Nepenthes hanging out trying to adjust to their new home. (ordered this winter) There's also some mad sundews that are taking up the photo. (not enough light and too humid for them)
NepenthesTank.jpg

The second tank are some standard CP's which are currently in dormancy in a parking garage. Kinda nervious about the first dormancy period with this group, esp. since they are walmart and lowes rescue plants.
cptank2.jpg

This is my RO unit which is a must in this house. Look at the first stage filter, it's only 2 month old and I buy them white. I've been so pleased with this unit, it takes water levels of 250ppm and currently brings it down to 7ppm. (Range is 3 to 8ppm depending on it's mood) I'm considering buying an ion stage add on that will take the 7ppm down to 0ppm
rounit1.jpg

And of course... My two ever present garden helpers, who are always ready to eat whatever I drop on the floor and be in my way at all times.
Gizmo and Molly.
gizmo1.jpg

molly1.jpg

Can't wait till I have some plants photo worty or a new terrerium setup!

Nathan

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are already quite the plant grower. Beautiful looking grow space and beautiful plants. Oh, and the dogs aren't bad themselves! lol.

xvart.

Wow! You've got quite a setup already! Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to the forums. Impressive setups you have there. Looks like you are well prepared.

Maybe I misread it, but D. adelae needs NO dormancy. It is a year round grower.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Bugweed, I probably didn't label my pictures as well as I could have. I currently have my sundews in a Nepenthes Tank, the Adalae is having a ball, the Capensis not so much. I'm going to see if I can make a seperate 'sundew' home just for them really soon though.

The only thing I'm putting into dormancy right now are my picture plants and VFT's.

-Nate

Thanks for the replies everyone!

No problem! Always good to have a new member floating around to share stories with.

The only thing I'm putting into dormancy right now are my picture plants and VFT's.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Keep us posted on your progress with the "Operation: Sundew Home."

xvart.

Year round growing sundews are:

D. brevifolia
D. capillaris------Both of these are North American varieties.

South African:

D. aliciae
D. capensis
D. cunefolia
D. regia---just for starters!

Sundew pics: Any Bob Zeimer site is FULL of incredible pics from the wild, and from collections. I think every species is represented.
Find Humboldt.edu in the URL, and open it up!!!

Same with VFT's and cultivars. Pics galore!

Pitcher Plants: Same with pics on these. MANY pictures that can keep you busy for DAYS!!!!
Picture plants is a common mistake with newbs. Now you know its Pitcher, not picture. Seems to me I made that same mistake 45 years ago!!!!

We ALL learn as we go, but your fortune is in this forum, some really fine experts are "living" here.

Last edited:
:welcome: Sounds like you are well established in the hobby. Glad to have you join the crew. The more the merrier! :jester:

Back