What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Newbie!

Oh god.. nothing worse than pruning sarracenia to discover a nice family of maggots.

What you do is wait until they are almost dead then buy them all for 75% off :)

But if 75% of the ones you buy at a discount die, do you save any money?

But if 75% of the ones you buy at a discount die, do you save any money?

I think that it is probably fairly safe to say that I am no where near qualified to take dying plants and heal them :p I am doing everything I can to keep healthy ones alive!!!:blush:

I found terraforums through the link in barry's site. We are laid back here (not so much me lately… but that’s a story for another time) and you can ask away- the search feature is a pain and i have never seen anyone get angry about people not searching. If you can google it, great, if not, thats what we are here for

Even if it is already posted somewhere (which it probably is) it will give us all something to debate and fight over again!

xvart.

When I was just a few months into the hobby I bought a few of the Sarracenias from Home Depot's 50 cent rack, which was like one step away from the garbage can. I was able to get thrm through dormancy and placed them outside in the spring. And like the ugky duckling story, those homely plants turned out to be a pretty attractive group of S. leucophylla hybrid. But then I lost them in that stream a few months later.... but that's a whole 'nother story....

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_la.jpg

s_Wed_106.jpg

When I was just a few months into the hobby I bought a few of the Sarracenias from Home Depot's 50 cent rack, which was like one step away from the garbage can. I was able to get thrm through dormancy and placed them outside in the spring. And like the ugky duckling story, those homely plants turned out to be a pretty attractive group of S. leucophylla hybrid. But then I lost them in that stream a few months later.... but that's a whole 'nother story....

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_la.jpg

s_Wed_106.jpg

You are gonna make me run to home depot. I haven't seen Sarracenias anywhere for sale (Of course... I don't frequent stores :p But the first time I had ever seen a VEnus fly trap at walmart was 6 months ago and you should have seen me practically jump over the cart to get to them. :-))

Run to Lowes, first! They normally have a wider selection of tissue culture plants. Also, check the Carnivorous Plant Trading Post forum for offerings. After I tapped out the garden centers I discovered the trading post forum and scarfed up just about whatever was offered. ~95% of what I have has come from the generous folks on the forum. Never bought an online plant, either!

Back