What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I am Jerry and live in Santa Maria.
I have some carnivorous plants: Heliamphora minor, Sarrencia purpurea,
Sarrencia psittacina, and Darlingtonia californica plus a Venus Flytrap (I think it is still alive??).
I have a BA in Botany from Humboldt State College, up in Northern California at Arcata. So you can bet that I have been growing all kinds of plants for years!!! My real loves are mosses and lycopodiums and selaginellas, of which I grow different species. I do have a bog and I have a journal on my bog. Here is a link:
http://www.jsionline.freeservers.com/p1bog.html
the bog is still filled with sedges but hopefully this year I can transplant some.
My real interest in carnivorous is in Heliamphora. I am growing my two H. minor plants outside in full sun. I will have to make a journal to show you all. They are doing well!! I did get one of those fantastic H. sarrencoides but that plant is so tiny that I will be dead before it gets big!!! :0o: I think it is barely alive in my greenhouse but I really have alot to learn on raising the little seedlings!

As long as you are terrestrial man and not extraterrestrial man, WELCOME!!!!!!! Feel free to browse wildly, and ask a million or two questions. Some folks here I suspect really know what they're talking about.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to the forums, Jerry! We're both lucky to live in the great state of CA; we've got great weather to grow lots of goodies! ;)

Welcome dude!

Welcome to TF! Sounds like you have a nice breadth of experience. I did a quick look at your website and it looks good. I love the description of your encounter with "THE SPHAG!"

xvart.

Welcome to TF! :welcome:

You sound like a nice planty person just like the rest of us. Join in and have some fun. Love getting new members!

Come one come all !! Welcome

Welcome to TF, Jerry.

A botanist will always be welcome here. Although it is a bit of a drive for you, come on down for one of the LACPS meetings. We meet the 3rd Saturday of every other month. The next meeting should be April 21st.

Thanks N.A.N.!:wave:
But I have trouble just driving a couple of miles to buy groceries!:p
Guess that makes me a HomeBoy!!!:angel:

Dorthy was right!!!:alien: < bet he is not from Kansas!!!:0o:

Whatever. It's a good opportunity to meet other CP enthusiasts. A lot of them are into other plants as well, Tom, the leader of the group is said to have some 3000+ orchids.

It's a great way to expand your CP collection because there is usually stuff on sale, for trade or giveaways. Pingman acquired a great little Cephalotus last time. And Forbes gave away a couple tanks. Now that I have stuff germinating like crazy I wished I grabbed the bigger tank.

I've made arrangements so that the August meeting can be held at the Huntington Botanical Gardens. That should be a real treat.

I think there are a member or two that come down from Santa Barbara - Ventura County for sure, you might be able to hitch a ride with them.

Back