What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, despite my 12 year obsession with carnivorous plants, I have not been really part of the forum until now. (Barry might still remember me because I bugged him so much, haha).

The frog hobby took away most of my "forum" time.

If you ever read ICPS newsletter, check back of June 2002 (I think its that one, has a big Sarracenia minor on the front). I wrote an article about my bog garden here in the middle of KS.

My garden did very well for years.

my.php

my.php

full.php

However, due to global warming, I have lost ALL of my 2 x 2 foot area (except three plants) of nothing but S. rubra rubra. My once 2 x 2 foot area of flytraps has been reduced to only a couple plants now.

My summer has become hotter and drier, which has proven lethal. I also lost my S. x "White Sparkler." :( And now that Botanique is out of business, it'll be a while until I find it.

I have never had any problems with the cold, its just the heat and dryness that has proven to be a problem in a summer. Hehe, try water a 6 x 8 foot bog (2 feet deep) with nothing but a small RO unit during the middle of August!

Welcome Doug. White Sparkler is in a few collections around here. You may wish to go to the pitcher plant forum and ask if anyone has it in their collections, or, go into the growlists, and view a few of the larger growlists and check it out. As far as the heat is concerned, not enough water could have been more of a problem than the heat. It gets 105 to 110 around here, and my plants live outdoors in it without much in the way of ill effects. Beside a few crispy hoods, the plants themselves do well. Check them out if you haven't, Visit to Bugweed's in the pitcher plant forum. Stickied thread at the top. When Steve took the pics, it was close to 100D Farenheit. You can/will see the heat didn't bother them much with a LOT of water under them.

Hey, Doug. Nice to see a fellow Kansan on here! Where in Kansas do you live? I just moved from Lawrence to Kansas City (actually on the MO side). I hope you are a KU fan, especially since they just won their tournament game! Rock Chalk!

xvart.

Welcome to TF!

I live in Overland Park. I do go to KU though. However, this semester I don't have to commute because my classes are at the Edwards Campus.

Yes, I saw the game with the Salukis last night. I love the quote "The hawks escaped" the announcer said last night. :-))

I live in Overland Park. I do go to KU though. However, this semester I don't have to commute because my classes are at the Edwards Campus.

Yes, I saw the game with the Salukis last night. I love the quote "The hawks escaped" the announcer said last night. :-))

I finished my master's degree at KU this past summer. Great town. I applied for a job at the Edwards Campus when I was looking for a job but found another job. The Edwards Campus is beautiful.

Again, welcome!

xvart.

:welcome: aboard! Always good to get new addicts, I mean, friends here. :)

Douglas - I know it's been a while since the game, but that's too bad about KU losing in NCAA... I've been saying it every year since 1988 but, next year! At least Self bought himself another year.

xvart.

:0o: :0o: Nice bogs!! and Welcome to Terraforums!!!!

- Jeff

Back