What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi

I’ve already made a couple of posts, but never introduced myself.

I started growing CPs back in the 70s, but with a lack of experience, literature, money, etc. my attempts always eventually ended in failure. I decided to try again last year, and now that I have some time to purchase/read literature, join board like this and have a little more spending money I’m hoping that I’ll be a lot more successful!

I’m interested in growing temperate plants. I live in Phoenix, and the summers here get pretty hot – over 110°F for weeks at a time - so I’m growing my plants outside in the Fall, Winter and early Spring, and growing them on my indoor shelf as it gets hot outside.

Looking forward learning/contributing here.

Joe002

Well, here's an "official" welcome. Glad you've already been contributing.

xvart.

xvart – thanks. I’m not usually a very big poster on forums, but sometimes I have a question, or have completed some research, or find a topic of interest and will throw in my 2¢.

Welcome to the forum, just sit back and soak it all up !

Glad to have you!! Welcome!

xvart – thanks. I’m not usually a very big poster on forums, but sometimes I have a question, or have completed some research, or find a topic of interest and will throw in my 2¢.

Sounds good enough to me. What kind of research have you done?

xvart.

droseraguy, bucky78 – thanks, so far this board seems to have a good knowledge base and activity.

xvart – right now I’m focusing on artificial lighting – specifically tube based fluorescent lights (I have 36” T8s). There’s a lot of different technical information available (and missing) on different tubes. Also, there’s a number of people that have first hand growing results (from this board and elsewhere). I’m currently looking at the technical information and stated results and trying to see what I can use from both sources of information.

xvart – right now I’m focusing on artificial lighting – specifically tube based fluorescent lights (I have 36” T8s). There’s a lot of different technical information available (and missing) on different tubes. Also, there’s a number of people that have first hand growing results (from this board and elsewhere). I’m currently looking at the technical information and stated results and trying to see what I can use from both sources of information.

Sounds interesting. Is this for personal use or for professional? Or both? lol. I know a lot of people around here use plain 48" T12 bulbs so if you ever need that information there is a wealth of people at your disposal. Occasionally there will be threads about bulb differences and outcomes (light intensity vs energy consumption). I would definitely be interested in your findings.

xvart.

xvart – just for personal use. Yeah, I know T12 and 48” bulbs are the most popular, but my shelf space is limited to 36” so I went with the shorter bubs. Also, since the T8 bulbs and fixtures are smaller I can get 6 bulbs to exactly cover my 3’x1’ shelf area (the two bulb fixtures are 36”x4”).

Yeah, the lumens, Color, CRI, wattage, manufacturer, type, etc. all have some role in the final light that is available for the plants to use. If I find anything new/different I’ll be sure to post it.

T5's are sleek and sexy. They look easy to break, too :(

Yeah. I thought about them too, but it’s hard enough getting a selection of T8 – T5 would be a real pain.

Welcome to Joe in Phoenix! :wave: :D

Welcome to TerraForums!

PlantAKiss and jimscott – hi, thanks for the welcome. I’ve been out of town for the past week and a half and haven’t been able to get to a computer. When I got back today I checked on my CPs and started to wade through my email, over 1000 – most SPAM :angry:

Hi Chris36, thanks and welcome to you too!

Back